Chapter-6

There was an unquiet in morning as he walked to the stable. Bridling the horses as asked by his superior, he brought them out one by one. Looking at the administrative block, he took a pause for a minute or two. Horse whose rein was in his hand, Nuzzled in his face and he came out of his inertia. He walked to the fence and freed the horse there. Something was bothering him but he was way too stiff-necked to even think about it. 

"Manik"

He heard Major Thakur calling him. 

"Yes sir," he reached Major swiftly. 

"You can practice today. Colonel told me that you want to polish your riding skills," Major said with a smile.

Manik smiled slightly and thanked Major Thakur.

He took one of saddle horses and started doing the laps. He was not very fond of horse riding and maybe that's why he wanted to polish his skills. Hour passed in a jiffy it seemed as he noticed Sun had reached the mid sky. He noticed Lieutenant Singh in stands and thought of taking a break. He walked to stands and wished Lt Singh.

"You were good, Manik," Col complimented.

Manik smiled faintly and shook his head.

"I think I was not," He said.

"Why would you say so?" asked Colonel.

"I think I need to work on my riding skills. I still don't feel confident enough," Manik stated looking towards tracks.

"You are way too serious for your age, my son," Col patted his back and started walking downstairs.

"You have enough of time to learn all this," he added.

"Take a vacation. There are so many spectacular sites nearby. Make use of your giant bank balance," Col said looking at Manik.

Manik didn't respond but keep looking at tracks. 

"I feel academy is spectacular," he answered with a brief smile. 

"Your father would have been proud of you," Col said patting his shoulder.

Manik looked down for a second or two and then replied with a forced smile.

"He too would have wanted you to enjoy your life after a good academic year," Col added.

"I have a class and I can't abandon it," Manik said trying hard to divert the topic. 

"Class?" Col asked.

"Nandini. You asked me to train her," Manik reminded him, "besides, I love spending my vacations here."

"Oh yes! You reminded me about Nandini just at time. She won't be coming today," Col told.

"Why?" Manik asked almost panicking. 

Colonel who was looking at horses immediately looked at Manik.

"I mean, what happened out of sudden? She didn't even inform," Manik asked trying to reason colonel's amused gaze.

"Well, she didn't tell in particular. She just told me she won't be coming," Col elaborated. 

Manik's face got covered with an illegible emotion. His forehead formed fine lines as he seemed to wrangle something in his mind. 

"You alright, son?" asked Colonel.

"Yes, I am fine," Manik clarified coming out of his thoughts.

"I would take your leave then," said Colonel and walked away.

Manik kept standing there for a minute or two trying to come out of absurd melancholy. He told himself how it was a very good news and he could finally have one good evening. He walked down the stands making plans to spend sometime with his books in library. Boosting himself one final time, he adjusted the saddle of horse and rode it towards stable.