Chapter-40

Mr Murthy came out of his expensive car as his guard informed him that Uncle Bernard was inside. He looked at weary building in front of his eyes with board saying 'Bernard Dog Shelter'. He looked around and saw other shopkeepers staring at him. He walked in and bell rang with the movement of glass door. 

"Madhav," Uncle Bernard said elated as he came to greet him. 

"Uncle Bernard," Mr Murthy replied sweetly. 

"Let's go to my office and have tea," Uncle Bernard said as he lead Mr Murthy to his office. Mr Murthy scrutinized the place as he followed Uncle Bernard. Uncle Bernard was an old friend of his father but he hardly could feel that affinity. 

"So what brought you here?" Uncle Bernard asked and Mr Murthy passed a shallow smile. 

_____________

Manik walked the street scanning each corner and Harshad groaned for nth time not knowing what they were doing in a busy street. 

"If you tell me what we are finding, I can help too," Harshad tried to say same thing in different way and Manik chose to ignore. 

"Just look for a dog," Manik replied after a minute or so. 

"A dog?" Harshad asked baffled, "There are many dogs, Manik."

"A she dog to be precise," Manik specified and Harshad frowned. 

"You have lost it or what?" Harshad asked being not able to understand anything. 

"We are searching a she dog here, have we lost it?" Harshad asked gritting his teeth.

"I need to make sure if mother of pups is around," Manik elaborated looking around. His eyes scanned the same street from where he had rescued the pups last night. Nandini had scolded him endless how he had taken the puppies just to be with her and he might have missed their mother in that course. 

"Why don't you and Nandini adopt them and spare me the torture?" Harshad suggested as he gazed every dog he saw. Manik didn't reply and Harshad turned around cockily only to find Manik glowering at him. 

"What?" Harshad asked shrugging his shoulders. 

"I was just voicing out your inner voice," He added smirking and earned an elbow in stomach from Manik. 

"I guess those pups were indeed abandoned as I see no mother dog around," Manik deduced as he gave up his quest. 

"Yes, I think we should call it a day," Harshad spoke as fervently as Manik did and then turned around to run away before Manik makes him walk to something more boring. 

Manik grabbed him from arm and asked, "Where do you think you are going?"

"We need to meet Mr Bernard," Manik revealed the plan and Harshad cursed him. 

"I hate dogs and that dog shelter," Harshad admitted and Manik couldn't care less as he dragged him along. 

_______________

Mr Murthy shifted in his chair as peon put the tea tray on table. Cups looked cheap and there was no way he was going to have that tea. 

"So where were we?" Uncle Bernard drew his attention as he served him tea. 

"We were talking about Nandini," Mr Murthy reminded and old man smiled. 

"See, Madhav. I cannot fire her from a volunteer job and even if I could, I won't," Uncle Bernard cleared. 

Mr Murthy had asked Uncle Bernard to oust Nandini from her night duty at shelter. 

"You would find many jobless lads for this job, Uncle. I don't get it why would you want to keep Nandini for such useless job," Mr Murthy mocked and Uncle Bernard stared him.