Chapter-39

Nandini brushed her wavy wisps with her fingers as she descended the stairs. Her mother's mouth opened in shock as Nandini had expected and she couldn't help but let that goading smile appear. 

"Now tops are getting shorter," Her mother whispered and Mr Murthy looked up to find reason of his wife's out of place commentary. There walked his daughter wearing a cropped sweater with rugged jeans. He shook his head over a petty concern of his wife. 

"Nandini," Mrs Murthy called and Nandini halted with all her will. 

"What have you worn?" Mrs Murthy whispered as she reached Nandini. 

"Cloths," Nandini answered with that deliberate ingenuity to cause her mother click her lips in annoyance. 

"Stop playing smart, Little Lady," Mrs Murthy said sternly. 

Nandini sucked her lower lip trying to look sincere. 

"Come have dinner before you leave," Mrs Murthy said authoritatively. 

Nandini couldn't wait to have dinner with them that night. She walked to dining table and looked at her father who was silently having his meal. 

That man was someone who could be at peace after causing a storm. Nandini narrowed her eyes trying to prove how eyes could yell. 

"Puppy shop isn't a place to work," Mr Murthy spoke without even looking up. 

"It isn't a shop," Nandini corrected dissecting the omelette with fork in her hand. 

  "Right, it's not a shop. It cannot be called a shop even," Mr Murthy mocked and Nandini looked up trying to decipher that man. He loved to insult everything she does, have and would have. 

"Says a man who trades horses," Nandini murmured and Mr Murthy looked up. He looked at his wife trying to tame his anger. Accusing her was always an easy way out of Nandini's sharp comebacks. 

"I think we shouldn't talk over dinner," Mrs Murthy said and Nandini shrugged her shoulders. 

"Tell your husband," She sang the part as fork made the messed up symphony. Rest of dinner went quiet and that certainly screeched how her parents had got the point. 

"Anyway, Have a nice sleep. I will try not to see you in the morning," She said with a plastered smile as she got up. She looked at both her parents and walked away. 

"Is she meeting that cadet again?" Mr Murthy asked impatiently. 

Mrs Murthy furrowed her brows not knowing why would Madhav ask that question. 

"Why do you think so?" She said serving herself food. Mr Murthy couldn't put a finger on it but it did seem that Nandini was a lot like how she always was, goading little devil. 

"Forget it," Mr Murthy dismissed his own doubt and watched his daughter walking out. 

Fog welcomed her as she stepped out of her house. She rubbed her hands to tackle the dip in temperature. 

"What are you doing here?" She asked as soon as she reached her jeep. 

"I am coming with you," Daadu answered with his signature smirk. 

Nandini glared him folding her arms across her chest. Daadu patted the driver seat telling her to hop in. 

"Since when you are interested in my job," She asked she fastened the seat belt. 

"Since you have stopped to share details with me," He answered impudently. 

Nandini shook her head totally getting what Daadu was up to.