Chapter-18

There she was. 

Sitting in garden with all her desk set there, Nandini was all engrossed in her work. It was a sunny day so who won't seek some warm sunshine. But that wasn't what we can point out as unusual. It was Manik sitting with a book in hand at some distance. Nandini glared him through pile of files and he just turned his back to her pretending to read his book. Nandini narrowed her eyes then shook her head. It was plain stupid of Manik choosing to sit right in front of her desk and then pretend like he was least interested to even notice her. A bunch of handsome officers passed her desk giving her amorous smiles, she just tried not to stare rudely. After all, they were rank holders and she couldn't deny they all looked sinfully hot. Manik's eyes followed them till the time they disappeared. He again got busy in his book and Nandini tried not to kill him for behaving unreasonable.

"So how's watchdog doing?" A manly voice drew Manik's attention. He saw Daadu with an attendant who was unfolding the chair for him. 

"Who's the watchdog here?" Manik asked straightening himself. 

"Of course not you, my boy," Daadu quipped and asked attendant to serve tea. 

"Don't you have classes today?" He asked while Manik read the same paragraph again for nth time. 

"I had," Manik said nodding his head trying to look thoughtful, "But I was feeling a bit sick so I am taking off." 

"Oh," Daadu exclaimed pretending to buy his story and said, "What else can be more curing than sunshine?" 

Manik didn't answer but keep posturing as if book had something very interesting to read. 

"By the way, already she had packed our car with roses and bouquets," Daadu shared the piece of information. 

"Who she?" Manik asked raising his brow looking very occupied. 

"My dead wife," Daadu gagged and Manik looked horrified.

"Of course Nandini, you idiot," Daadu added. 

"Oh," Manik said and then asked, "Who would give that wild cat flowers and why?" 

"Because she is apparently hot topic in academy and every boy wants to go to ball with her," Daadu informed with a coy smile. 

"What?" Manik got on his knees.

"When did guys ask her out?" He asked as if he had missed a very important detail. 

"Did she say yes to anyone? Did she say yes to Harshad? I am telling you Daadu, Harshad is my friend but he is not a good guy for girls," He blurted out in panic in one go making Daadu chuckle. 

"Calm down, Manik," He said trying not to laugh more, "She hadn't said yes." 

"But she would say yes to someone eventually," He added. 

"You cannot ask her for ball just by making sure no one asks her out," Daadu taunted and Manik's face went red as if he had been caught red handed. 

"I was not gonna ask her for ball," He stated plainly, "She isn't my types." 

"Then why are you glued here since morning?" Daadu asked taking him offhand. 

"Because it's good place to enjoy sunlight," He put casually. 

"Oh then lemme just tell Harshad that he should ask Nandini out because it was such waste of time threatening him to stay away from my granddaughter," Daadu sighed aloud in disappointment. 

"You did what," Manik asked closing the book with evident elation in tone. 

"I threatened him," Daadu told a bit hesitant.