Escape: A True Form of Art

AHHAHAHAH okay hello
Seán's POV.

All went black as I felt myself fade away. The pain overtook me and I didn't even scream after it. I just let it happen. I couldn't even feel it, it hurt so much.

I was done. I'd never see the lights. This monster thing took my life away before it even started.

I would miss Mark. What a guy. If I see him in the afterlife, I'd run up and hug him. I wish I could kiss him once more. Just see him once more. I heard his screams through the vent as I was clawed. I heard him sob as I was taken. I saw the camera he could see, and I tried to smile through the pain as I blacked out. My life gone. Spent. Not wasted, at least.

I might not have seen the lanterns, but I got to see a light.

And his name was Mark.

That was my last thought, and then I felt myself go.

-

But I woke up. On the ship. Unscathed. How??

Was this some sort of hallucination? Did I just envision being ripped apart? No, I felt it. What the hell? I was in the exact same spot that Mark and I had come in. Was this some sort of trick? A joke? A....game?

Oh my god, like a spawn spot? I thought to myself. There were a lot of people in the forest who tended to perform rituals, and they would say things about demons respawning. The glowing rectangle when Mark and I had come in showed that it was a game, so if you died on the ship...

you only felt the pain.

The realization sank in and I thought about Mark. Probably devastated. I ran into the entrance and followed his screaming sobs to the third floor, avoiding any red light from the monster. I found the room he was in and burst through the door.

"Mark!!!" I shouted, grinning. He was howling on the floor, curled in a ball, his satchel thrown to the file cabinets. He looked up at me and his face fell in awe. He stood up slowly, keeping his eyes trained on me.

"Seán, how, wha....what....how? I don't..." He trailed off, his eyes wide. He drew closer to me, and put his hand on my shoulder. His jaw fell, and tears welled in his eyes as he hugged me tightly.

"I thought I lost you." He said into my ear, his tears streaming down his face. I hugged him back, also close to tears, and I felt him shake as he cried. We stayed like that for a moment, tears wetting our cheeks and deep breaths taken. We didn't hear the clunks of the monster, and we just held each other for a small eternity.

After a while, we broke apart, Mark's hands still holding me slightly. I blushed, and he leaned in.

And this time, we hadn't just fallen over.

His soft, hot lips pressed onto mine lightly, and I felt a salty tear was still on his lip. I leaned in further, holding him close, a relief passing through both of us through our mouths. His hands held me tight, practically clawing me, never wanting me to leave. Scared I would slip through his fingers and fall. Desperate. Needy.

Passionate.

This, this was a kiss I would remember.

We disconnected, and Mark hugged me once more.

"I have no idea how this worked out okay, but I'm glad it did." He whispered through his last few sobs.