Happily Ever After

Final stretch
Mark's POV
My wound has no sign of it ever being there. I looked, nothing. Touched where it was, nothing.

Well, you can take the man away from the magic, but you can't take the magic out of the man. Seán's tears had healed me.

He had cried for me.

I stood up and picked him up, hearing Maxxias whinny.

"Darling, you saved me." I said, looking down at Seán.

His eyes were still wet and bloodshot. He nodded with happy tears, and I pulled him in for a hug. He hugged me back, tightly, and I knew this time, I wouldn't lose him.

Eventually, the hug broke and we had to talk.

"Can you take me to the Castle?" He asked.

I nodded. I didn't care what the Guards thought right now. I may be the most wanted man in the Kingdom, but everyone wants something, and I was gonna give Seán what he wanted. His family.

Seán threw his rope down his tower for the final time, and we slid down. We saw no trace of Father Felix.

Except his cloak.

His body was gone.

I let Seán have his moment, as I climbed onto Maxxias. He whinnied, and I patted him.

"Thanks, fellow enemy." I stroked his mane. He grinned.

Seán climbed on a minute later, and we rode through the passage at breakneck speed. The murky, ambience-giving wind of the tunnel whooshed by us, and we burst through the vines into the forest.

"To Corona Castle!" I cried. Maxxias tore through the forest, hopping logs and dodging trees and civilians, making his way to the bright shore in no time. Daylight had arisen, early dawn, and we rode over the bridge. Guards shouted as we did, chased us across the square in glorious fury. This, this was the feeling I had waited for all my life. The freedom. The anticipation. The pride. I gave someone their freedom, they gave me my life, we fell in love and I was returning them home. We were a fireball of emotion, blazing the trail to the Castle, heads turning and faces burning from the speed at which we rode. I had no idea this was what I wanted, but now I was sure of it. Seán gripped me tight, and we rode up to the Castle in all its grandness, the Guards staring at me.

They pointed their swords at me immediately, but once they saw I had the Lost Prince and his crown, they pulled back. They let us in, and immediately we were both nervous.

A huge ballroom stood before us, grand staircase and chandelier polished, and the huge doors slammed behind us. We wandered around, Seán clinging to me as we made our way past a Guard who was rushing somewhere.

We didn't care.

Seán was home.

King's POV.
I was in tears again. Seventeen years, and I never saw my son. My only son, kidnapped and lost. Every year I missed him more, the lanterns a sad replacement for the lost light Seán gave me. My wife stood before me, tears hidden from her beautiful, oceanic eyes. She was all I had. And I loved her more than anything.

For years I had sent the Kingdom searching for Seán. Just one hope I could see him again. We had rewards put up for him, houses searched, we searched past the Kingdom's limits but no one ever found him.