13.

{Brynjolf POV}

My shoulder had started aching more and more as time passed with still no sign of (Y/n) around. I silently cursed Mercer for sending her on such a dangerous quest without anyone as backup. Minutes became hours as I grew more and more pissed. What if something happened to her? My shoulder was throbbing painfully. That should be the healing potion I drank earlier doing it's thing. I looked around the cistern as I sat on my bed. Vipir and Thrynn were practicing archery and Etienne was sharpening his iron sword at the grindstone. Rune was sitting with his feet sticking in the dirty sewer water, not really minding the germs so it seemed. My eyes fell on Mercer, who was as always sitting behind his desk. I gathered some energy and will to stand up and walk towards him. 'You.' He looked up, slightly frowning. 'Excuse me?' I pointed a finger towards him. 'How much time is that job supposed to take?' The silver fox shrugged, leaning backwards onto his chair. 'Three, four hours?' I nodded. 'And how long exactly is (Y/n) gone now?' 'Around six hours.' I sat down on the desk, to Mercers annoyance. 'Could you not do that, I have important files here and--' 'Something could've happened, you know!' I lowered my tone to show Mercer that I really was angry. Mercer pressed his lips into a tight line. 'Or... She's just a horrible thief and not really capable of completing the job.' My eyes widened and I clenched my jaw tightly. 'Excuse me? (Y/n) is the best thief I've ever seen! There is no way she would not be able to finish that bloody Goldenglow job! I'm telling you, Mercer! Something is up!' Mercer rolled his eyes, gesturing towards my bed. 'Brynjolf, it's just the medication for your shoulder playing tricks on you. You don't have anything to do but think about the worst case scenarios so I suggest you should catch some more sleep. She'll be fine, trust me.' I narrowed my eyes and huffed. 'Fine. But woe betide you if she is injured. I'll flay you alive and I mean it!' For the second time in one day, I threatened Mercer Frey and for a moment I regretted it because suddenly his eyes contained an angry glint and after all he was the leader of the Guild. Mercer sighed and rubbed his forehead. 'Oh Brynjolf, I thought we were friends. Now after you met that girl, you are all hostile towards me. Why is that?' I kept silent, just looking at his stern face. 'Are you in love with her, hm? So soon? Love at the first sight.' he spat, mock filling his tone. I gritted my teeth, my fists starting to itch. 'As I said before, Mercer. Woe betide you.' I turned and tried to walk away confidently which was pretty hard, because my shoulder had started aching like hell. Mercer chuckled lowly as I left the cistern and walked towards the Flagon. 'Got a bit of a tough day, eh Brynjolf? Here, this is on the house.' Vekel pushed a bottle of ale into my hands. I smiled a bit because the gesture was nice, but the last thing I wanted is was to become drunk and say things I would regret. Still, I took a sip of the lukewarm beverage. I sat down on a chair, groaning as pain shot through my wound. 'You alright there lad?' I looked up and saw the drunken face of Delvin Malory smirking slightly at me. I shook my head. 'It hurts, man...' I pointed at my shoulder. The drunk bastard showed his yellowed teeth in a sly smirk. 'That's not the reason you are sad, eh? It's that girlie, (Y/n). You're worried about her.' I sighed. 'Yes. I am.' Delvin patted me on the shoulder, making me wince in pain. 'Really, Delv?!' I growled, grabbing my elbow to relieve the pain a bit. 'If you are really worried, you should head out for her, injured or not.' 'Look at me, Delvin, do I seem like I can take on a mercenary at the moment? The place is crowded with those!' 'I could look for you.' I shook my head. 'I can't risk losing you as well, friend.' The drunken man smiled a bit. 'Well, everything for friends, aye?' 'You can't even walk straight in your current state, Malory.' 'That's true, Brynjolf. Alright, any other options that could look for her?' We looked around the Ragged Flagon. 'Vekel is needed here. Vex and Tonilia aren't cut out for the job. Dirge has to stand guard. The rest is busy as well. Seems like the only option left is to ask Mercer to look for you.' I gritted my teeth. 'Mercer and I, we eh... We are in sort of a fight.' 'I can ask it for you, you just have to rest and let everything depend on me for a few minutes, yes?' 'Okay.' 'Go get some sleep, Brynjolf. The bags under your eyes are immense.' I watched Delvin stumble towards the cistern, he clearly had one too much. Exhaling deeply, I rested my chin on my good arm. This would be one hell of a wait...