27.

{Mercer POV}

Mixed feelings ran through my head as I stepped over the streets of Falkreath. The town was as irremediable and disgusting as always, vines growing on and out of the decayed buildings that were placed on both sides of the slippery road. People whispered, sending me weird glances as I paced through the city. 'What are you looking at?' I sneered, spying around to see if I could catch a glimpse of a (h/c) girl somewhere. 'What are you doing here, thief scum? Here to rob our houses empty and rape our wives?' a man sneered while wiping his oily hands on a filthy rag. 'Like I would want to touch your ugly wife.' I snapped back at him, pulling my hood tightly over my head. 'You've got some guts to come here while clad in that armor, burglar. Too bad you lack the brains.' another buff looking lad said while stepping forward with his gang. They were blocking the road towards the inn and I gritted my teeth. 'What do you want from me?' 'Where do we have to look for the riches you stole from us? Or do we have to beat it out of you?' I huffed. 'Listen, I am just here to look for a friend that has moved here some days ago and I wanted to check up on--' 'Be quiet, pickpocket.' He rolled up his sleeves and approached me, his eyes darkening as he towered above my form. I didn't flinch, locking eye contact with the Nord. 'I am not here to seek trouble, friend.' I spoke. 'There is nothing valuable to find in this place.' I dodged his first blow. 'Stop that!' I muttered, avoiding his fist again. 'Get the hell out of here!' I realized that the Thieves Guild didn't have a good name around here. A few years ago, they would be trembling on their feet and kiss my boots. The Guild had lost it's honour. 'No, I am--' 'Stalhelm!' A familiar voice sounded from behind the bulky man, causing him to look over his shoulder. I did a step back before my eye fell on Relyn. The Redguard put an arm around the Nord named Stalhelm and patted him on the back. 'Why are you hassling my good friend?' The blonde man's face fell. 'Oh, apologies. I didn't know you two were friends.' Relyn laughed. 'Don't worry about it and go to the inn to grab yourself some mead.' He tossed a septim into his hands before the gang left. Relyn smirked at me. 'Hello, Mercer.' 'Weren't you in prison?' I asked confusedly, crossing my arms over my chest. 'Oh yes, thank you Relyn for saving me from that horrible fistfight!' The Redguard said sarcastically. 'Really, you wouldn't have survived it. Not with your body.' I rolled with my eyes. 'Anyways, what brings you to this smelly pit named Falkreath?' '(Y/n) is probably here, isn't she?' Relyn shrugged. 'I spoke to her yesterday before we went to sleep in the forest. I woke up and she was gone. I still have her wolf, though. The stinky mutt is having a great time in his cage.' 'So she is kidnapped?' I spoke, chewing on my lip. 'Probably long dead, though.' 'And you didn't go looking for her?' The Redguard smirked. 'I didn't think it would be worth the effort.' I balled my hands to fists. 'What?! You don't care about her for just a bit, now do you?' 'Doesn't she have enough men all over her right now? Like Brynjolf, perhaps?' I narrowed my eyes, inhaling through my nose. 'What about him?' Relyn looked around for a bit before beckoning me to follow him. 'Come with me to somewhere a bit more... private.' Relyn lead me through a few streets, fields and halted at a large boulder where we sat down. 'Now, tell me. What did you mean to tell me?' Relyn stared into the distance. 'You wouldn't be able to win (Y/n)'s heart without doing something special for her, Mercer... Brynjolf is closer to her than you can ever be with just words.' I frowned, looking at Relyn with a suspicious glance. 'Clarify that statement a bit, please.' He cleared his throat. 'I've known (Y/n) for a very long time. Ever since we got acquainted, I discovered she has a preference for jewels, gold and stuff. And I know you carry something on you that no one else knows about...' I felt my face become pale as I knew what he was talking about. 'I know how you can win her heart.' 'What's the catch?' He hummed. 'The catch is that... I want half of the share.' I shook my head. 'Not before I know what you are talking about.' A grin spread over his lips, one of his golden teeth shimmering in the light of the sun. 'In order to win (Y/n)'s heart, you must steal  a treasure we had planned on stealing a long time ago, the jewels that she desires most. You must get her the Eyes of the Falmer.'