19.

{Mercer POV}

The nagging feeling of jealousy started to grow in the pit of my stomach as the thought of Brynjolf finding (Y/n) ran through my mind. I looked at the sky, clouds packing together above the streets of Riften. Why was I jealous anyways? I sat down on a bench that was standing upon the bridge near the entrance and sighed, resting my elbows on my knees. Did I like her? Why did I like her? I barely knew her, and I just... I just never like anyone. Only Brynjolf, but for some reason I didn't like him at all anymore. A raindrop fell down on my face as I glanced at the grey restless sky once again. Was (Y/n) okay? Safe and dry? Oh, I was such a stupid man. Of course she wasn't okay, of course she wasn't safe. I pinched the bridge of my nose, sunken away in thought. For Kynareth's sake, she was raped! How could she be okay in any way?! The rain started to pour down as everyone fled inside, not wanting their clothes or hair to become damp with water. However, I didn't mind the cold liquid seeping into my armor. I didn't mind at all, for it made me a bit more aware of my thoughts. 'Mercer, come inside! You are going to catch a cold that way!' Sapphire said from the entrance of the Bee and Barb, holding open the door slightly for me to approach and enter. I shook my head, my silver hair already dripping on the edges. 'No, I am good right where I am.' The brunette just shrugged and closed the door. With everyone gone, I could bury my head in my hands freely without getting stared at. I didn't cry, for why should I cry about someone I barely knew, but my mind was full, full of (Y/n) and I didn't know what it was. Brynjolf was already out there looking for her, and in a way I should feel grateful, but I didn't. I only felt anger boiling up towards Brynjolf. The sound of thunder rippled through the clouds and I sighed. If I only had enough sentiment in me to actually start searching as well... But on the other hand, I wanted to find (Y/n), I wanted to give her a blanket if she happened to be cold, I wanted to save her! Me and not Brynjolf. I stood up, my clothing soaked. Slowly, I stepped back towards the cistern. At the market, my gaze averted to the left and fell upon the temple of Mara. I huffed. I never relied on the divines anyways, so why should they help me out? But what if they knew what was going on with me, why I was feeling so upset over (Y/n)? Spying around to make sure not a soul saw me, I made my way to the temple. I pushed open the wooden door and peeked around the corner. 'Ah, if that isn't Mercer Frey.' Maramal spoke, gesturing me to come inside. 'Hello.' I dryly spoke, happy that the hall was a bit warmer than outside. 'Can I help you in any way?' I gave the priest a small grin. 'Well I... There is this girl...' Maramal smiled, nodding at me. 'Go on...' 'I... I don't know her very well, but she has ran away.' The smile faded and became a frown. 'That's not a good sign.' 'No. But now my friend is searching for her and they are pretty close.' His face lit up again. 'Ah, young love blossoming in these dark times! Tell me, do you want me to arrange a surprise marriage for them?' 'That's not what I meant to say. I meant to say that deep inside of me, I feel something. As if I am... Jealous.' The priest laid his hand on my shoulder, squeezing slightly. 'It's pretty clear, my friend.' he spoke. 'You're in love with that girl and don't want your friend to get to her first.' I frowned before I felt my cheeks grow hot. 'I am what?!' Maramal chuckled. 'You must be in love!' 'But I barely know her!' 'That isn't the problem. Falling in love just takes one split second!' My jaw tightened. 'How can that happen? I've only spoken to her twice, hurt her feelings and now she's gone.' Maramal beckoned me to sit down next to him on a chair. I obeyed, resting my hands in my lap. 'How did you feel the times she was around?' I narrowed my eyes, looking at the shrine by the altar. 'Every time she entered the cistern... Or the bar... Things just seem to...' My heartbeat quickened as I thought about her (h/c) hair messily falling in front of her face when she helped Brynjolf out. '...Light up.' I finished my sentence. Maramal smiled. 'Yes, my friend. That is love. You are in love with her!' 'But... Bryn-- I mean that friend of mine, he is in love with her too!' The priest nodded. 'I know that Brynjolf is in love with (Y/n) as well.' I frowned. 'How do you--' 'Brynjolf was here two days ago. He purchased an Amulet of Mara for himself and told me the reason he was leaving, to search for her, for (Y/n).' Something deep inside of me snapped. I jumped up from my seat, bolting towards the door. Outside, it was raining even harder. I didn't care. 'You bastard!' I thought, cursing Byrnjolf. 'I won't let you get to my (Y/n). I won't.'