25.

{Brynjolf POV}

My eyes widened and I had to be careful to not fall out of the tree I was sitting in as I saw her press a wet cloth under (Y/n)'s nose, making her sleep. What was she doing? Why was she here? She scooped the (race)'s limp body up, carrying her away, trying not to wake Relyn. I could just turn him in, but chose not to. I slipped out of the tree skillfully, sneaking after them with care. We walked towards the forest. I kept a safe distance, but not safe enough to withhold her from hearing me as I accidentally stepped on a branch, snapping the twig in two. Her head whirred around, her violet eyes drilling into mine as a gaze of recognition fell over her. 'Brynjolf.' I went up from my crouching position, straightening my clothes. 'Karliah.' The Dunmer female gave me a suspicious glance. 'What are you doing here?' 'What are you doing with (Y/n)?' I shot back, hiding my happiness from being so close to (Y/n) again. 'Just doing what Nocturnal told me to do.' I narrowed my eyes, walking up to them. I cupped (Y/n)'s cheek with my left hand, stroking a thumb against the skin. 'You like her.' 'What did Nocturnal tell you to do?' Karliah kept quiet. 'I can't tell you that. Not unless you promise to come with me and help me.' 'I will not let you go anywhere alone with her. Not since you killed Gallus.' The girl gritted her teeth at the mention of her long deceased lover. 'I did not.' 'Mercer said you did.' An awkward silence fell over us as she turned away, tears shimmering on the rims of her eyes. 'Just leave me to do my job, Brynjolf.' 'No.' I grabbed her arm roughly as she tried to walk away. 'Let her go.' 'I can't. Nocturnal wants me to bring (Y/n) to her. She senses that the Guild has fallen apart, and (Y/n) is the only one that can save it.' Karliah spoke. 'Why would you care about the damn Guild?' I hissed, locking eyes with her. 'I wasn't the one to kill Gallus, Brynjolf.' 'Then who was it?' 'It was Mercer.' I shook my head. 'Mercer would never do such a thing. I don't believe you. Nocturnal never speaks straightly to people, especially not to traitors like you.' A tear slid across Karliah's cheek. 'You have to trust me, Brynjolf. I don't think you trust Mercer as well, do you?' 'Mercer is my friend.' I said. Karliah shook her head. 'Nocturnal told me he is in love with (Y/n) as well, and he is on his way to get her before you do.' I swallowed, feeling my face become pale. 'Mercer has a crush on her?' 'Yes. And he lied to you. About the fact of (Y/n)'s disappearance. She did run away, but she was raped. By Stormcloak soldiers.' I gasped, reaching out to (Y/n)'s face to search for any clues of physical harm. 'Why would he keep that from me?' I spat. 'Because he didn't want you to go after her, I think.' For a second, I thought she was making the whole thing up. But then, why would she? To avenge Gallus' death? 'What does she have to do to save the Guild?' I asked. Karliah started to walk on and I caught up next to her, matching my pace with hers. 'I don't know, but everything I know is that Nocturnal needs her. Ain't anybody going to tell you something else.' I watched as she carried (Y/n) over the cold roads. 'Didn't you bring a blanket?' 'No need for that. She won't wake up anytime soon. I put her to sleep with some strong sort of--' 'I don't even want to know, thank you.' My feet started to hurt in their boots. 'Are we going to the Nightingale Halls?' Karliah hummed in agreement. 'But that's at the other side of Skyrim!' I whined. 'That's why I brought extra narcotics to keep her passed out, so make sure she isn't waking up.' 'What about Relyn, though?' 'He won't cause any harm to her unless he knows where we are. Trust me, he doesn't.' A deep sigh left my lips as I realized this was going to be a long walk.