18.

{(Y/n) POV}

'Thank you so much for your help, Boti. I would've been lost without you.' The Nord squeezed my hand reassuringly. 'Where are you headed?' I pressed my lips into a tight line. 'If my feet will manage to bring me there, I'll go to Whiterun and from there I'll take the carriage towards Falkreath. The only... friend I have lives there.' Boti smiled. 'I am glad you are going to visit him or her to keep your mind off the events you experienced. Safe travels, and do not be afraid to drop by next time you're footsore. My farm is always open to you.' 'Thank you.' I whispered, pulling the woman into a tight hug. 'No problem, child.' 'Farewell.' I started walking away, holding up my hand to wave. 'Farewell, (Y/n).' My journey would be around a day, going from Ivarstead to Whiterun by foot wasn't a small trip, but I had enough to think about. I overthought the final week that had passed. So many things happened at once, joining the Guild, meeting new friends and going on the job to Goldenglow Estate, losing Nero and getting raped... And now I am here, just stepping over the cobble road in the hope not too many blisters would form on the soles of my feet. My mind wandered off to Brynjolf and the feeling of something gnashing feeling started to settle in the pit of my stomach. He had been so kind to me, even more kind than Boti. Maybe he was filled with questions at the moment, and a wave of sadness overwhelmed me. Perhaps I even liked him... I wasn't sure. But I couldn't go back to the Guild, not as long as Mercer was around. Mercer... Why did I blame him? He couldn't know it, right? But still, I was done with the bloody Thieves Guild right now. They probably just wanted me to do all the dirty work for them so they could keep their hands and records clean. I wondered if they would even come to visit me if I happened to end up in jail. Then it hit me. What if I was still a wanted criminal in Falkreath? I escaped prison, for Mara's sake, and if a prisoner escapes, an execution will follow. I could stop by in Whiterun, after all. Get a haircut and some warpaint and I would be hard to recognize. I fiddled with a strand of my (h/c) hair that was woven into a braid. I even could cut it off myself. I halted and sat down on top of a rock to let my feet rest and unsheathed my steel dagger. I had been stupid enough to leave my better one at the Cistern. Still, this one was as sharp as a razor. I grabbed the back of my braid until about centimeter or two above my shoulders and chopped off the hair underneath it in a swift movement. I released the braid and it fell to the ground. To feel what was left of my hair, I moved my hand through it. It didn't feel like it was trimmed well at the edges, but it was something. I pulled my hood back over my head and put the dagger back in place.

The sun had already set when I opened the large gates of Whiterun, the sound of life filling my ears. My feet were hurting and my throat was dry. I approached a citizen to ask for directions. A Redguard was walking towards me. 'Excuse me, sir, could you--' 'Do you get to the Cloud District very often? Oh, what am I saying, of course you don't.' I frowned as the man brushed past me, an ugly scowl on his face. 'Do you always treat your visitors like that?' I barked, crossing my arms. 'Trouble?' A guard asked, stopping in his tracks next to me. 'Yes. Could you tell me where the nearest inn is located?' 'At the end of this street, the building you can access between the market stalls by the well.' 'Thank you.' 'Stay out of trouble, (Race).' I nodded and walked towards the inn. The Bannered Mare, the sign read. The ambiance inside was frankly nice. I walked towards the innkeeper, a ginger woman close to retiring, according to the age that had etched itself on her wrinkled face. 'I would like to rent a room.' The woman nodded. 'I've got one available right now. Follow me, right this way.' I followed her up the stairs to a half-open room with a double bed. 'If there is anything else you need, just ask.' 'Thank you.' I plopped down on the green duvet and got a wedge of cheese from my bag. Hungrily, I sunk my teeth down into the fresh food. This was good, but I had to leave before sunrise to arrive in Falkreath on time. I finished my meal, drunk something and went to sleep.