23.

{Mercer POV}

I chewed on my lip, looking around the streets of Whiterun. (Y/n) had to be somewhere around here, or at least he had been here. My feet padded against the stone roads, the sound of the town life surrounding me. It seemed so quiet and peaceful around here, way different than Riften. I halted in the middle of a market place at a well, which was filled with water. If I reached out, I could touch the cold surface to make it wrinkle under my touch, but I didn't. It just seemed to calming to me. I shook my head, shrugging off this weird thought. Around me, children were running around, playing tag. One of them halted in front of me, a boy with blonde hair and a big smile plastered on his face. 'Hello sir! Do you want to play a game with us?' I wanted to sneer a no, but the thought of (Y/n) possibly being around somewhere in this town made me think for a second time. How she would like it if I played with those kids? Don't all women love it when a man can do fun stuff around children? I didn't see Brynjolf doing something like that any time soon. 'Of course, little girl. What is your name?' 'I am Lars, what is yours?' His eyes twinkled with excitement. 'I am Mercer.' I told her, shaking his little hand. 'You're it!' he yelled before dashing away. I started to run after one of the children that also were part of the game, overthinking why I actually did this. I tagged a little girl on her shoulder, making her squeal and laugh in surprise. I smirked a bit, actually finding this fun. I raced away from her quick form as she started chasing me. I laughed as I darted through the streets, gaining odd looks from people around me. 'Mila Valentia!' a feminine voice suddenly sounded towards the little girl that was about to tag me. 'What on earth do you think you are doing with this man from the Thieves Guild? He is dangerous!' 'But mother, he is nice!' The Imperial girl said, pouting. 'He will gain your trust and then rob our house! Don't you see that? Of course you don't, you are way too young to understand.' I held up my hand, trying to apologize. 'I am sorry, ma'am, but there must be a misunderstanding. I mean no harm to your child and your property.' She wrapped an arm around her kid, pulling her towards her hip. 'Do you think I believe that for a second? A man that wears that armor is not to be trusted. I advise you to stay away from here, we don't like your kind.' I narrowed my eyes, wanting to snap all kinds of insults at her for having such prejudices about the Thieves Guild, but I reminded myself that this wasn't the right way to respond to her. 'There are also good thieves out there, ma'am. Ones that steal from the rich and give to the poor.' She frowned. 'You look sly, thief. Did you really think you could bloody brainwash my child and convince her to steal things from me?' I rubbed my temples. 'Get out of this town and never return, before I call the guards.' 'This isn't your property, ma'am.' I spoke, turning away from her. 'Mila, is it?' The girl nodded. 'I am sorry that your mother is having a mind like that.' Without looking back at the woman's reaction, I walked towards the inn. I pushed open the door, the scent of fresh beef stew entering my nose. I went to the bar, ordered some food and sat down at one of the tables. Why did it upset me so much that that woman thought of me like that? Was I becoming soft? I shook my head while taking a bite from my apple pie. Was it because of (Y/n)? I kept pondering until the final bite before getting up from my seat. I was angry at myself for letting simple emotions like those get to me. Why did I even play with a child? It was a child! I returned the plate to the bar and gathered my things to leave. Suddenly, I reminded myself of something. Turning towards the lady behind the bar, I asked: 'Did you by any chance see a (h/c) girl with a wolf by her side?' The Nord frowned. 'You are the second one to ask me that, you know that?' 'Just tell me where she was headed. I have to tell her something very important.' A smile screaming compassion showed on her face. 'I am sorry, friend. A guy with red long hair had said exactly the same. I think he got to Falkreath already. I am afraid you are too late.' I felt my heart shatter into a million pieces. This couldn't be, could it? Was he quicker than me once again? Jealousy welled up in my chest as I gave the woman a quick nod before heading out the door. Looking right in front of me, I walked towards the gate and left the city. When I was out of ear-shot for everyone in town, I stood still and shouted loudly in anger before going in the direction of Falkreath.

Almost 200 votes wooo~