What Shouldn't Have Happened

The place Sana decided to take me to was nearby restaurant where she seemed to frequent. She was greeted by the owner as soon as she entered. He showed us to an empty table near the kitchen area that had a lovely aroma coming from it.

"Ma'am, I know this probably isn't your normal place of eating but you have to try their food! It tastes like home cooking!" Sana exclaimed.

It was quite uncomfortable being called Ma'am outside of work hours. It's weird enough being called that at all but I can't hear it from Sana. I don't know why but it's only when Sana calls me Ma'am that I feel especially uncomfortable.

"Just call me Tz– I mean, Hyeri when we're not at work. It's a little uncomfortable being called Ma'am outside of work." I said, biting my tongue as I almost gave away my actual name.

"Okay Ma'am. I mean Hyeri." Replied Sana, hiding her face in embarrassment.

"You'll get used to it eventually don't worry Miss Minatozaki." I replied, laughing at her blushing cheeks.

"Well if I get to call you Hyeri, then you can call me Sana!" Said Sana.

I laughed at her attempt to even out the formalities.

"So Hyeri, can I ask where you went to school?" Sana asked me.

I was so screwed. I hadn't thought she was going to ask me about this. I hadn't planned her answers for this question. Why was this girl so unpredictable?

Fuck! For some reason, I always want to answer her questions correctly. I can just tell her the truth I guess. It's not like she'll guess who I am. There were heaps of people in the school she wouldn't have known. I look older than her anyway so I could've been her sunbae.

"I attended Gangnam Arts High School." I replied quietly.

"NO WAY! ME TOO! When did you graduate? Where you there from the beginning? Do you remember your classmates?" Squealed Sana, putting her hand up for a high five.

I didn't react immediately and raised an eyebrow instead. It was fun teasing her.

"Already so comfortable around me huh?" I suggested, laughing at her embarrassment.

"No... No... it's not like that!!! I was just curious." Said Sana, pouting.

"Aw don't be sad Sana." I replied, patting her head unconsciously.

I froze.

That was something I had a habit of doing to her when we were friends earlier.

FUCK.

She's going to know who I am now.

FUCK.

When she didn't respond to what I did and simply laughed as well, I breathed a sigh of relief. Maybe that didn't give it away. I really hope she doesn't go back and think about the events of the day or something or it somehow misses her chain of thoughts.

The food arrived right after so it gave us both a distraction from the conversation. At least it didn't get awkward between us. The conversation was light and casual and we were mainly discussing work things.

This food was really amazing. It reminded me of my mother's cooking when I was younger. Ah! I don't want to get emotional in front of Sana but the taste was bringing tears to my eyes. It's the first time I've eaten anything that tastes the slightest bit similar to my mum's cooking since she was gone. I pounded my fist on the table and seemed to shock Sana in the process too. She looked up at me curiously, wondering if she should say something.

"By chance Hyeri, is the food too chilli for you? I'm sorry! I always eat chilli food so I didn't change my order. Is there anything I can get for you!?" Sana said, fumbling to take some warm water out in a cup.

I grabbed her hand and just shook my head. Sana was still looking at me worriedly and looked as if she was going to argue.

"Nope. Don't even try Sana. I'll tell you later." I cut her off, watching her sulk and pout on the spot.

This girl was killing me. Fuck.

I paid for the dinner and walked back to my car with Sana. I didn't really want her to pay for the dinner before either. I was just teasing her.

"How about I drop you home Sana? It's quite late already and you shouldn't be catching public transport at this time. Especially after what happened last time." I offered.

I really didn't want her to go home herself. She never looks around her when she's walking and that's really worrying.

"Won't that be troublesome for you Hyeri? You would have a lot of travelling to do." Mumbled Sana.

"Not at all! I live close by to you anyway! And I also need to tell you about what happened inside. I haven't forgotten you know." I replied.

I felt the need to tell her and I didn't know why. Maybe because she would ask heaps of questions about it later. Or maybe because I didn't want her to worry because I saw it in her gaze when I held her hand earlier.

I honestly really enjoyed the time we spent today. I feel like Sana hasn't really changed at all from the past and the worrying thing is that she's still as distracting as ever. She was cheery and open once she knew someone then and is still like that now.

Since I was in my school basketball team, Sana was always there to cheer me on. She made up her own cheers as if she was part of the cheerleader's club. She distracted the members from the other team with her cheering and I would scold her for that but she would run away from me instead. She was always a worrying person. When I was hurt and had to retire from my club, she was there with me the entire time. She dealt with my mood swings and my tantrums and I think that was all part of why I loved her in the first place.

I felt free when I was with her.