Just Listen

My time with Tzuyu was often spent with me talking to her and updating her on things that have been happening while she was still sleeping. I never once left her side, wanting to be there when she wakes up. She'd been in her condition for three days so far and the doctors had commented on the improvement of her vitals. Today was no different from other days and I sat by her bed, holding her hand and talking to her, hoping she would wake up like the other past three days.

Tzuyu – I hope you're listening. I'm sure you're listening actually. You always had a tendency to eavesdrop on conversations when we were smaller.

You need to wake up love. I miss you and your cheesiness. I miss our moments together and I need you. I lost you once already, I don't want to lose you again, please. You mean the world to me – I'm not ready to lose that yet.

Come back to me Tzu. I'm an absolute wreck without you. Nayeon and Jeongyeon have tried to get me to leave but I can't do it. You know me, I'm way too stubborn for my own good. You need to come back to tell me when to eat and to catch me when I fall and to carry me when I'm sleeping.

Why is it that when I remember everything, you aren't there with me? Why is it always such a disaster?

Oh – about everything else. Nayeon. I never knew she was a sniper until I saw her here at the hospital. I can say that I wasn't very surprised. All those threats about her wanting to kill you seemed way to real for me to find weird. She was injured too; someone had attacked her at the rooftop but she was cleared to be released from hospital.

Mina – I want to hate her for putting you in this position but I can't. I know that you must've trusted her for a reason and something must've gone wrong. But seriously – why the hell did you decide to give an unexperienced shooter a gun? Watch what I do to you when you wake up. You could've at least told me she was part of the mission or something so I wouldn't have treated her like shit. Even though she does deserve it. She took good care of me while I was in there and made sure I was safe – that was because of you. She also apologised to me; I'm guessing that was your doing as well.

Your co-worker Seulgi? I think that's her name. She came a few times and I honestly felt jealous initially since I didn't know who she was until she came with her girlfriend one day and I felt so embarrassed. She was telling me some stories about the top recruit Chou Tzuyu. I have to say I never expected you to be so dedicated to studying. Last I remembered from high school, you absolutely hated it with all your heart. She told me about the campus terrors and how people were afraid of you because you were so serious. Damn, you need to tell me more stories about it. If not... I can always just go to Seulgi for them instead. She said she was more than delighted to be the one to spill your secrets.

Everyone at work is looking for you as well. They need their CEO back. Jinwoo came in and spoke about how everyone was getting extremely worried about your lack of presence in the office. You were the only one who cared about them and looked out for them. They think that you were in a fight with a robber in your house and things went out of control when he shot you. The room is filled with flowers from them and other people.

Dad also came by with Mum and they stayed for a while, saying that they knew you would be upset if I didn't get something to eat. I have no strength to eat anything right now Tzu. I just need you back.

You know, I was remembering when we were being rebellious and snuck out of the house together so that you could make me feel better. You took me to a lake about fifteen minutes from our house and we just laughed and laughed and laughed, eating some snacks you'd bought from the convenience store down the road. You always knew how to make me smile in my darkest moments. When we came back home, Dad was there and he looked very angry at us but before I could say anything, you took the blame for taking me with you; saying that you forced me. Dad took you into his room and I thought he was scolding you and I was absolutely terrified. But you came out laughing and smiled at me, trying not to worry me.

Can I be selfish and want you to come back to comfort me? To make me feel better? Can you grant me that wish?

I always regret not realising that I loved you so late. We've wasted so much time already because of my stupidity and my lack of understanding. I really wish that things had started off differently. So I need you to come back Tzu. I need you to come back so we can spend time together and make up for the lost time that happened because of me. I want to cherish my moments with you forever and always.

I'm sorry Tzu, I'm so, so sorry. I put you in this position again and it's all my fault. You've become stuck in this again like last time and I... I feel absolutely terrible. I know your job is to neutralise these threats but the fact that I put you in this position makes me question if I'm honestly the right person for you. You deserve someone who doesn't endanger your life; someone who doesn't make you risk their lives for them.

Tzuyu squeezed my hand in that moment and I wiped away the tears that were pouring out when I was talking. I rushed to press the button but she held my hand first. She tried taking the mask off her face and I helped her with it, eventually pressing the button for the nurse.

"Never say that again." Said Tzuyu, voice extremely low and hoarse.

I was still in shock so all I could do was nod my head in agreement.

She was awake.