Mates?

"Mum, how did you know Dad was your mate?" Lily asked her Mum as she entered the kitchen. Jean turned to look at her daughter curiously. She told Lily to follow her to her and her husband's room. They sat on the bed and turned slightly to look at each other.

"When I first met your father I didn't understand why I felt connected to him. I was raised by humans and he was an orphan. But at least he knew about what we were and knew what was happening. He didn't tell me at first he didn't want to ruin my life. Like he thought he would" Jean told her daughter.

When her daughter nodded she continued the story. "At first I smelt the most amazing scent in the world. It is different for everyone, then I felt a pull to him. One day I was out on a run when I ran into a handsome young fox. At first I was scared until I felt a pull to him as well."

"I was so confused why did I feel a pull to both a boy and fox. Then the next day the boy kissed me and sparks flew. He explained everything about what we were and how we were mates." Jean finished the story and looked at her daughter who looked to be in deep thought.

"A mate is your other half from the minute you met you are one. Neither of you are complete without the other. Mates bring out each others best and worst traits" Jean explained before asking "why do you ask Lily?" Placing her hand gently onto her daughters shoulder.

"Yesterday when I saved the wolf pup there was another wolf there. This one was an adult and arrived after I did. When we locked eyes before I ran home there was this connection. Then today at school a guy named Kyle showed us around" Lily started to explain.

She breathed in deeply then released it slowly before continuing. "When he walked into the class I smelt an amazing scent of the forest and LUX cologne. I felt the same pull to him as I did when I looked into the wolf's eyes. Zuko told me he was a werewolf at lunch" Lily finished her explanation.

"I think you found your mate honey" Jean told her daughter happily. Lily got nervous what was she suppose to do. "This is why we returner here your Father will be thrilled" Jean said. Lily gave her a confused look. "I don't know the full story, you'll have to ask your Father when he returns from his meeting" Jean told her daughter.

Lily sighed nodding her head and got up hugging her Mum before leaving the room. Lily didn't know want to think did her Dad know a wolf from here was her mate. She went to her room and started to read Inkheart. Trying to push the mate thing from her mind at least until her Dad returned home with her answers.

A/N

Picture of Lily's and Kyle's animal forms as one