Chapter 6

De'ron in the media above

Nadine finished applying eyeliner and said "Joseph!"

"Yeah?!" Joseph said.

Nadine didn't answer and waited for Joseph to come to her room.
Joseph entered and said "Yeah?"

"How do I look?" Nadine asked.

"I like your dress Ma you look really great." Joseph said.
"I know." Nadine said posing in the mirror in her black cocktail dress.
"Are you going with Mitch?" Joseph asked.
"Oh fuck him, I'm going out with somebody else." Nadine said.
"Can you look after your brother and sister tonight?"
"Yeah ma." Joseph said.

"Thank you." She said giddily.
Joseph left and Nadine sat on her bed waiting for Gary to call her at 7:00pm, 7 turned to 7:28 then 7:51 and at 8:12pm A frustrated Nadine called Gary. "Yeah?" He said.

"Where the fuck are you?!" Nadine asked.
"Nadine? Keep it down. Gary whispered getting out his chair walking past his wife in the kitchen and locking himself in the basement.
"Now what?" Gary said.
"You said you were coming to get me on Friday for our date! Where the fuck are you?!" Nadine screamed.

"I'm home." Gary said.

"The fuck you mean home? I know you not talking about Virginia!" Nadine said.
"Look Nadine plans changed, I wanted see you but something came up." Gary said.
"What?! What Came up?!" Nadine asked.

"I just couldn't come ok. I'll make it up to you really I pr-"
Nadine hung up and screamed.

Joseph came back to her room and asked "What's wrong Ma?"
"If you were doing anything tonight you can go." Nadine said taking her shoes off.
"O. K." Joseph said awkwardly leaving and shutting the door.

Nadine threw her heels in the closet, wiped her face on her bed sheet and laid down on her bed.

Joseph took a drag of the blunt and De'ron asked "Nigga you gonna it? It's puff, puff pass not puff, puff, puff, think then puff again."

"Here nigga damn always crying bout something." Joseph said.

"You always crying and bitching bout shit bitch." De'ron said taking it.

"Don't make me lock your ass in the damn trunk." Joseph said laughing.

"Why you gonna lock Ron in a trunk?" James asked laughing
"Quit fucking playing." De'ron said seriously.

"I still can't believe you let me get locked in a fucking trunk." De'ron said.
"De'ron why you let yourself get locked in a trunk?" James asked.
"Not me dumbass Joseph!" De'ron said.
"Joseph let himself get locked in a trunk?" James asked. Joseph laughed at De'ron's frustration
"Nevermind your ass even dumber when you get high." De'ron said.
James got quiet and Joseph asked "Ain't Crystal having a birthday party tonight?"
"Which Crystal? Darkskin Crystal with the fat ass, short Lightskin Crystal or Fat Crystal?" De'ron asked.
"Fat Crystal." Joseph said.
"I think so I heard Friday so tonight." De'ron said.
"Any girls gonna be there?" James asked.

"Hell yeah." De'ron said.

"Let's dip." Joseph said.

Martin walked down the hallway into his mother's room and asked "Mommy I'm hungry can you make something?"
Nadine sobbed and Martin climbed onto her bed and asked "Mommy what's wrong?"
"Nobody loves me." Nadine sniffled.