Chapter 23

Chante woke up after briefly falling asleep on the floor and checked his phone. "He still ain't call, dammit."
Chante went to use the bathroom and after he washed his hands walked into his father's room while he was getting dressed.
"Gud Mawnin." Mr.Charles said.

"Good morning dad." Chante said.

"Joseph neva called?" Mr.Charles said.

"No I'm going to call his friend I think I remember his phone number." Chante said.

"Alrite." Mr.Charles said watching the news as he was putting his shoes on.
"More violence in our city as a stabbing sends an unidentified young black male to the hospital. This happened at 10:35pm last night on Bryant Avenue. Police arrived to scene to find the man in and out of consciousness robbed and bleeding profusely. Tamia Cooper reporting.

"Thank you Janine. I'm am at the scene of the grisly attack where a neighbor reportedly saw the man laid out on the curb, badly injured."

"It just don't make any sense. This has been a bloody year. I don't know what made me look out my window. I couldn't believe what I saw he was just there crying, alone. What did that boy do to deserve that?"

"The unidentified black male was sent to shock trauma, currently listed in critical condition."

"Chante I'll be home at 8 and yuh stay inna dis ouse." Mr.Charles said.

"Ok dad I love you." Chante said.

"I luv yuh too." Mr.Charles said.

Chante came downstairs dialing on his phone to check on Cerise and Martin and and they were eating cereal and watching TV while Martin petted Archer in his lap.

"Did Joe-Joe come back?" Martin said.

"No Martin." Chante said.

"Are you calling him again?" Cerise said.

"No, I'm calling De'ron for the 4th time." Chante said going back upstairs.

"Who dis?" De'ron said.

"De'ron this is Chante, you don't have to put him on but is Joseph with you?"

De'ron yawned and said "No he ain't with you?"

"Oh my god, no I haven't spoken to him since the graduation he could be out in the damn street somewhere." Chante said. "Do you know when he left?"

"Yeah it was almost ten last night and he was gone he drunk and high as fuck too." De'ron said.

"Do you know area? Cause I might have to look for his ass." Chante said.

"Yeah it was North Monroe."

"North Monroe? ...No. No. No."

"What?"

"De'ron I will call you back." Chante hung up and said "Please God no don't let it be him, Monroe is so close to Bryant." He said googling then calling the number to shock trauma. "Of course it's busy dumbass, it's a hospital." Chante said shaking. "Please be wrong I don't I don't wanna hear it."

After 10 minutes a man answered "Shock Trauma hospital how can I help you?"

"Yes I would like to see if a person I know is admitted I believe he is the unidentified black male who was stabbed on Bryant avenue."

"Give me a moment." He said.

The wait was not long but it was agonizing for Chante dreading the man's response.
"Can you give me a description of your loved one?"