Chapter 17

Khalid in the media above

"Me and Darien were going on strong my father and him even got along over basketball and I recently found out there is no wide-receiver in basketball so that shows how much I care about sports." Chante said.

Joseph smiled a little then Chante said "Now for the nightmare. Me and Darien were eating at the mall and Khalid saw us and came over to say."

"Wassup y'all together?" He asked.

"Yeah bruh I didn't think you'd care." Darien said.

"It ain't a problem, I was just wondering why y'all was together good to see you again Chante." Khalid said leaving.

"You didn't tell him?" Chante asked.

"I ain't think it was important Chante you said he wouldn't care."

"Well you know him better than me, whatever."

He alright." Darien said.

Chante was at Derrick's house and they were laughing at the TV and his phone rang "Yeah Darien?"

"Chante st!"

The phone cut off "What the hell?"

"What?" Derrick asked.

"His phone cut off, this is an upgrade from his Laffy Taffy jokes."

Derrick laughed and said "Those jokes are not funny you laughing at them is funny."

"Yeah when me and him laughing with your nigg-oops!"

"......That's why your nigga corny now!" Derrick said.

"Aww nothing to say?" Chante asked.

When I came home I tried calling Darien but he didn't answer.
"Yuh still cyaan reach him?" Mr.Charles asked.

"No dad he usually sends me a text that says he can't talk right now but I'll talk to him tomorrow I'm going to sleep."

"Gudnite Chante."

"Goodnight dad."

I woke up and ignored my ringing phone. After going to the bathroom and eating something I heard my phone ring again and finally went upstairs to answer the number I couldn't recognize "Hello?"

"Is this Chante?" A distressed woman asked.

"Yes ma'am."

"This is Ms.Coates." She said.

"Ms. Coates why are you crying?" My mind instantly went to Darien. "Is it Darien?" He asked.

"Chante he got shot yesterday they killed my baby boy and now my baby's dead!"

"No, no, no, no!" Darien's mother and I cried through the phone and my father rushed into my room and saw he on my back crying on the ground "Whut's wrang bwoy?" He asked.

I sat with Ms.Coates at the funeral and She stood to observe her son's body and held my and her oldest daughter's hand but I didn't want to look at his body I hadn't cried until Ms.Coates dragged me up there and I saw him myself, he was shot twice in the back once in his leg and right hand.