Chapter Twelve

"What time are we going to your Grandfathers?" Luke asks as we sit in the waiting area of the doctors surgery. 

It's time for my first check up in a fancy private, American hospital, the kind where a Kardashian wouldn't go a miss and the secretaries wear patent leather heels instead of those smart price ones you can get from any chain supermarket. I don't really fit in with my tarnished brown boots and over-sized slouchy sweater. Its only slouchy to cover the bump that has miraculously started growing at an almost alarming pace in the week I've been here. Luke says private hospitals give better confidentiality.

"Around half past five," I tell him. We're holding hands; it's all very cute. "Said not to have dinner, apparently he's cooking some famous Colombian dish."

"Mila Mills?" A small woman with aging hair and a suit jacket on comes over to us, smiling so kindly it almost feels as if she's the definition of happiness. "Doctor Sheridan will see you now. Room twelve."

She points in the direction, and we thank her before walking along the narrow corridor, filled with expensive painting and plants so fake they where probably produced by the same company as Barbie, and knock on the door. 

"Come in." A mans voice shouts and we enter quietly. 

Doctor Sheridan is a tall, balding man with a measly patch of dyed brown hair and dark brown eyes not unlike my own. I try not to stare at the patch of hairy stomach as it hangs out the shirt that is hanging over his waistline. The gritty beard and anchor tattoo peeping out his collar add character. 

"I'm Doctor Sheridan, lovely to meet you." He says, shaking both our hands and telling us to sit down. 

"I'm Mila, this is Luke." 

He opens up a book filled with notes sent by my doctor back home and quickly scans through them. A silence fills the room for a few moments. 

"Looks good, looks healthy." He says. "Shall we have a look on the scan machine?" 

I nod, and doing the same routine as every time; I end up lying with my protruding stomach on a paper-sheet covered bed, stomach covered in freezing jelly and wondering how that piece of tissue got stuck to the ceiling. 

Doctor Sheridan brings up the ultra-sound on the screen and he takes a look at my stomach. 

"So, we're expecting triplets, yes? A lovely big family." He smiles.

There's a stunned silence between Luke and I.

The doctor tears his eyes from the screen, glancing between both of us. 

"What?" Is all Luke manages to roll out of his mouth. 

"Triplets? Yes? There's three babies here?" He repeats. We both stare at him, wide-eyed. "You didn't know this?"

I shake my head slowly. 

"Well it's possible, very common, only one heartbeat was picked up on the first initial scan?" He suggests. We still say nothing. My own heartbeat is beginning to beat at an extremely fast pace. "Shall we take another listen?"

Luke nods in reply for both of us. 

Reaching over, Doctor Sheridan twists a switch and a solid beat starts to fill the room. Then another, and then another. It's basically a whole fucking choir. They could form a band with that many. Oh my god, 5SOS baby-band- Okay, Mila. Calm the fuck down.

"Yes, three babies." He confirms. 

"Wonderful." Luke says, then gulps. He holds my hand tightly. "The more the merrier."

"The more the merrier." I repeat. My voice has gone croaky. 

"I'll get you cleaned up and we can talk about what will be happening next." The doctor helps me clean myself up and we're sitting back down on two plush chairs facing him across the glass desk that's littered with files and pens.

Luke and I are still holding hands. 

"Obviously, triplets puts a huge strain on the body. But so far all your tests and results have showed up clear. So carry on with what you're doing; full nights sleeps, healthy, sustainable eating, regular, basic exercises. Everything should be fine, we'll just continue to monitor you during the course of your pregnancy. Of course, there is always a risk with triplets, with any births, but sometimes, I hate to say this; but sometimes things do go wrong."

"What are you suggesting?" Luke says, nervous. 

"Sometimes, one of the babies don't survive." We both inhale a huge intake of breath. "But currently all babies look healthy, you're healthy. I'm just preparing you for worst case scenario. And I'm sure you've already been made aware of the risks of childbirth, but there will be a full team of hospital staff there to make sure nothing does go wrong."

I nod. "Thank you."

He hands us another sonogram. This time it's obvious there's three little beings. The last time there was only a little dot, not there's three larger ones. What the fuck?

"I'll see you at your next appointment." 

We thank the doctor and leave the clinic, Luke fiddling with the car keys nervously and me attempting to dry my sweaty hands on my jeans. We get into the car and sit in silence. This almost feels like deja-vu. 

"You still in?" I ask him, almost jokingly. "If you are, you're here for the long run."

"I wouldn't miss it for the world, babe." He replies, "We might need to think about getting a bigger place though." 

We both laugh. And laugh. And laugh. Until it's almost uncontrollable and I splutter that we need to stop because I might wet myself. 

"God, I need to call my mother." I say as I wipe the tears from my eyes. 

"I think I may need to call mine." Luke replies, wiping away his own tears. He turns around and places a hand on my stomach. "Listen, you three. No causing your mother, or I, any trouble. We're already confused as it is. And now we're going to have to think of two more names."

This sets us off laughing again.

"God, drive this car through drive-through please," I giggle, sitting back into my seat and relaxing. "I need an ice-cream to cool myself down."

///////////////////////////////////

A/N

Hey guys!

Okay, slight bombshell there.

Triplets; oh god! What do you guys think the sexes will be, and the names? Leave a comment and let me know.

Again, thank you all for reading!
Updates coming soon.

-ImJustFabu x