Chapter Eighteen

*** Please read authors note***

//////////////

"You're what?" My mother shrieked. My father just look at her with a tired expression. "I don't think so!"

"No offence mum, but you can't really stop me." I tried to put the least amount of sarcasm in my voice as possible, but you know me; I just can't help it. 

"Mila, you'll be bloody five months pregnant by the time you leave. I don't think this is very advisable." My father intersects. I know he's just trying to say and do the right thing. 

"Well I personally think it very advisable and I'm going so you can't stop me. Plus, it's only three months. It's the US leg of the tour." I tell them. I probably shouldn't have dropped this bombshell on them as we drive to my estranged Grandfathers house to reconnect the family. 

We parked outside the huge mansion; it never ceased to amaze me that my mother grew up in this house. 

"Come on." I tell them and start upwards to the front door. 

"Mila, I can't believe you came here, after I specifically told you not to." My mother scolds. 

"Well I did. So deal with it." I knock on the door and the air between us fills with awkward tension. The suspense is killing me. 

The door unlocks and we all stand up straight as Grandfather open the door. I notice his hands are shaking. 

"Hola." He says quietly. I jump in for a hug to ease the atmosphere and he gently holds me for a moment. 

"This is my brother Matias." I point to my younger sibling who looks like a deer caught in a headlight. "Mum? Dad?"

My mother coughs awkwardly. "Hello papa." 

"Hello, Mariana, Bernard. Please, all of you come in." He ushers us in and we follow to the sitting room; a front facing room with plush sofas and a large fireplace that I've never been in before. "Please, take a seat. Would you like anything to drink?"

We all shake our heads. The silence is fucking awful. 

"So," Grandfather starts, "How are you all? It's lovely to meet you Matias."

Matias nods, still uncomfortably quietly. I sigh extremely loudly and dramatically. These lame ass bitches are lucky I'm so outspoken. I can't believe I just called my parents and grandparent lame ass bitches.

"Can we please just get the elephant the room?" I say. "Let's just get it over and done with."

I sit forward, or attempt to, it's more of a roll with my bulging baby bump that probably weighs more than non-pregnant me. Eventually, after a few awkward moments of me just bumbling around, I eventually find my place and begin to speak again. 

"I, personally-" God, this feels like one of those intense therapy sessions like on Keeping Up With The Kardashians where Kourtney cries which is unusual because she's normally an emotionless statue, and Kim tries to be the mediator but Khloe has a major attitude problem, and then Kris just wants her kids to be happy. "I personally feel that for me, bringing the next generation of Mills into the family. I would like us to be a proper family. I think it's time to bury the hatchet and move on with our lives. 

They're all silent. This is honestly like pulling teeth. 

"Won't their second names be Hemmings?" Matias says. 

"Oh, yeah." I laugh. "Well we're hyphenating it." I suddenly decide. I hope Luke goes along with it. 

"Mills-Hemmings? Hemmings-Mills?" My father says his thoughts aloud. "It does have a certain ring to it."

I smile. "It does, doesn't it? I need to speak to Luke- We're moving past the issue here. Back to the topic. I personally feel that I don't want my children growing up in some sort of broken family. It's a horrible feeling knowing you have family, but never seeing them. Matty can vouch for that, can't you matty?"
Matias nods.

"I would very much like for it to be the same." Grandfather says quietly. He's a very humble man. "Mariana, why don't we talk for a moment, alone?" 

I can see my mother think about it for a moment before she nods her head. Together, they stand up and excuse themselves from the room and we all allow ourselves to breath again. I collapse backwards onto the sofa, rubbing my stomach. 

"What do you think you're going to call the babies?" Matias asked, cuddling in beside me.

"Moron; after you. Keeping the M tradition." I reply deadpan and my father lets out a burst of laughter. I throw him a cheeky smile. I'm glad that finally after all these years, we're starting to build our relationship back up.

"That's mean! Dad, tell her that's mean!" Matias whines, pouting his lip which makes my father laugh more. 

Suddenly I feel twelve years old again, winding up my brother and joking with my family. Although we've been a bit of a broken family, we've managed to find our way back to each other."
We moved around a lot when I was a kid from my dad's job, but we'd always stuck together. I think that's why Matias and I where so close. We never had much of a chance to keep friends for long periods of time and so we'd formed our own little friendship circle within our family. Finally, we where fixing this broken home. 

My mother and Grandfather left us for over an hour sitting on the plush sofa, so comfortable I felt my eyes start to shut until the rain battering off the window jolts me awake and I'm suddenly starving. And suddenly my phone rings again. 

"Hello." I say. "It's me."
"Hey, babe. What house is your Grandfathers again?"
"Number ten." I tell Luke. 

The rain batters down on the window. 

"Alright, we're outside." Luke says. I can hear his family chatter in the background.

"Is that Lukas?" My Grandfather asks and I nod. I'm not quite sure why he calls him Lukas. "Tell them to come in. It's too dangerous to be driving in this weather."

"Grandfather is asking you to come up to the house to wait out the storm, it's way to dangerous to be driving." I look out the window and can see the blacked out car at the gates. "I think Gloria and Mason where coming here as well and leaving with us.

"Okay, two seconds." I can hear him repeat what I say to him to his family. "Alright. Can you open the gates?"

"Sure, see you in a few." I hang up the phone and Grandfather opens up his phone, presses a button and I hear the shudder of the gates. That's some impressive technology. 

That night; we bond. Gloria and Mason arrive not long after eight that night, and we sit around the fire; telling stories and eating roasted marshmallows. By mother and Grandfather bounce off each other, telling us their experience of moving from Columbia. It really starts to make me think of how I want to bring up my children. My grandparents done everything they could to create the best life for my mother, and because of their sacrifices; me and Matias have been able to have more than enough. These babies aren't even her yet, but having my family all around me, Luke's parents in the corner of the sofa, his siblings, their partners and nieces and nephews asleep in front of the warmth of the fire; my parents on the other sofa, my grandfather beside them; and then Luke and I. We buried in the sofa, his arm around me as I sat with my feet over my brothers lap and his head resting on my my arm. This is how I want my children's family to be. 

We've all came from different walks of life; had different experiences. Luke, grew up in the same house with the same friends in the same place. Me, lived in probably every continent and met a thousand different people who's name I can't remember, but somehow I remembered his. 

And I'm so fucking glad I did. God, I'm so fucking in love with him. I'm in love with us.

/////////////////////

A/N

Hey guys!
Thank you so much for reading, I hope you're enjoying the story!

Don't forget to check out my Calum fanfic @"City Vibes" WHich is up now!

-ImJustFabu x