Chapter Sixteen

"I had the weirdest dream last night." I tell Luke as we walk into Starbucks. "We where back in the hospital, that time I got bit by the snake. It was so vivid. It was as if I had gone back in time straight to that moment."

"It's probably just hormones." Luke says. He orders both or drinks and we stand to the side to wait. "I've got to pee, be right back." 

He kisses me quickly on the forehead and he disappears into the little boys room. Being I pregnant and all, I'm tired and I lean against the wall. I brush away the crumbs from the cookie I ate in the car off my green smock style dress and look around me, taking in all those around me.

"Could you clear this table for me please?"
I turn to the side, realizing there I someone beside me. 

"Excuse me, could you actually do your job and clear this table please?" A woman, with frizzy blonde hair and skin reddened with the heat, is staring angrily at me. "Can you even speak English?" 

I look behind me, but there's no one there. In fact, it's the wall I'm leaning on. "Are you speaking to me?" 

She breathes heavily. "Well at least you can speak English, now clear up this table for me." 

"Excuse me?" I say. Why can't this bitch do it herself. What's her fucking problem?
"God, is it that hard to get decent service in here?" She throws her hands up in the air exasperated. People start to look. "We let you into our country and this is how you repay us? By treating us like dirt? Filthy Mexicans." She spits. 

"Excuse me?" I say to her. What's her fucking problem?

"You and all the other muck being allowed into the country; taking our jobs and our money, not even batting an eyelid when I ask for help. I pay for you to be here, missy. The least you could do is respect the people who actually own this country, who are from this country." 

"Why would I help you?" I ask.

"Isn't that what workers do? You'd think sneaking to this country would mean you would learn how to adapt into our society." Her words feels like venom. 

"I don't work here." I tell her. The color drains from her face. "And I'm not Mexican either."

"Oh gosh, I'm so sorry." 

"I don't know who you think you are speaking to me like that, speaking like that about immigrants, that's despicable. You should be ashamed." I don't even give her a chance to reply before I turn in my heels and flip her off before stamping away. 

I stamp away, out the cafe and to the car and slam the door shut after I climb in.I quickly text Luke saying I'm outside. 

It suddenly dawns on me that she thought I was a cleaner because of the color of my skin and the way I look. She literally just stereotyped me, thinking I was some freeloading immigrant and that I was dirty because I wasn't from this country. Never had I ever been attacked because of who I am and it suddenly became very real the type of views a lot of white supremacists had. First of all, bitch; Mexicans people are not filthy, they're hard-working people who often come to America in search of a better life. And second of all; bitch, don't assume because I'm Latina, that I'm a cleaner, or a waitress, or only here to serve you. Who the fuck did this woman think she was?  

Luke opens the car door and climbs in, handing me my cappuccino. "What the fuck are you doing out here? I thought you where waiting inside?" He ask as he takes a sip of his regular coffee. 

I slam the cup into the holder. 

"This bitch-" I can almost feel Luke roll his eyes, awaiting another one of my rants. "Had the mother-fucking nerve to assume because I'm Latina that I was an illegal immigrant and that I was just some free loader?"

"What?"

"Some asshole woman, she assumed I worked there because of my appearance and then started making all kind of comments about immigrants, and Mexicans; and how I should work hard because she's paying for me to be here and shit like that. I'm fucking fuming, Luke; I'm fucking fuming. I don't know who that bitch thought she was."

"What the fuck? How rude." He says. 
"I know! I was so confused at first, and then I realized what was happening and I shut that bitch down. How dare she be so rude and stereotypical." 

Luke starts up the car and we drive off back home to attempt to decorate our spawn's bedroom. 

"Luke, I'm honestly so annoyed." I tell him. I'm glad we don't live that far away from Starbucks. We actually only live to blocks away, but as I mentioned before, I'm pregnant and tired. "I can't believe that just happened; I've never experienced that sort of situation before. And it makes it worse to think that it's the sort of thing people go through everyday." 

"Tell people. Show that these disgusting people still exist in society." 
"Me and every other person though, Luke. What makes you think they'll listen to me?"
"Mila, you've got thousands of people dying to follow you, notice you, be you. You have a voice, a voice that could help the rest of the Latin American and Hispanic community. Why don't you use it?"

My brain started to tick; Luke was right. I had the platform to have a voice, why not use it?

We throw on some old clothes and pour out some paints, before grabbing a roller and sticking on one of Luke's old Guns and Roses CD's. Sweet Child of Mine is such a classic, you can't help but belt it out. It's even more ironic that we're listening to it whilst painting our children's room. 

"Babe," I look across to the other side as Luke throws his paintbrush down into the paint again walks towards me. His eyes are blurred with tears. 

"Luke? What's wrong?" I open my arms and he crumbles into me. "Come here, sit down." 
I pull him over to the window and we sit down on the window ledge wide enough to be one of those cliche seats where some teenage girl writes her diary and stares across into her crushes window, the lover of her life, as he gets ready to go to prom without her. 

"I'm so scared, Mila. I'm so fucking scared." He sniffs. I can feel his body shaking. 
I stroke his hair. "Of what?" 

"I don't know if I'll be a good dad, I've never had to care for children before. I don't even know how to change a diaper, just like we said to your Grandfather."
"We've booked the parental classes, we'll learn. I'm scared too, babe."

"Yeah, but it's different for you Mila. You're so confident, you just know how to do everything. You could build a table without glancing at the instruction, make a dishwasher work without plugging it into the socket. I can't do any of that shit, so how the fuck can I take care of three newborn babies? How can I take care of you?"
Luke is uncontrollably sobbing, making my own eyes well up at his vulnerability. 

I take his face in my hands. 

"Look at me." I instruct. "You are the best man I've ever met. You know what Luke?"

"What?" He says pathetically.

"You know how to love. You know how to love, and that's a talent way more valuable than building a table without reading instructions." I tell him. 

He giggles.

///////////////////////////////

A/N

Hi guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and thank you so much for reading!

-ImJustFabu x