The road ahead

*later they are sat in the gardens, it's pretty quiet a few groups of people dotted around, some doing homework, some playing around and some doing exactly what they were, having a date, they were in the grass on a woolly picnic blanket, Ben sat with Mal's head in his lap as she laid upon the blanket, he was absent minded let fiddling with a lock of her thick violety-purple hair when suddenly grabbed one of his hand, he jolted a little, surprised by her sudden movement,she took the arm down and wrapped it around herself and she intertwined their fingers, he went back to playing with her hair with his free hand, a while later she broke their relaxed silence*
Mal: Ben?
Ben: yeah babe
Mal: why do you like me?
*the abruptness of this question left Ben a little taken aback*
Ben: what do you mean?
Mal: well you knew I was trouble, everyone told you I wasn't worth it, you had a pretty girl, a princess, why pick me over all that?
Ben: well because every time I see you my heart skips a beat, being with you makes me feel alive, I feel a connection to you that I've never felt before, you're interesting, you're frustrating but I love it, you're a mystery and I like unraveling you
Mal: okay
*he was very confused by that, the suddenness of the question and the lack of a response, like the question seemed like a light thing to ask to her but to him it was huge, he felt her snuggle deeper into him and he wrapped his arm around her a little more tightly, protectively*
Ben: is there something wrong princess
Mal: I told you not to call me that, I'm no princess
Ben: you're my princess
Mal: whatever
Ben: no come on, don't side step me, is there something wrong?
Mal: shhh
*she hushes him gently and sleepily as she begins to fall asleep having gotten up rather early that morning, not wanting to ruin her nap so he leant over as much as he could from the Angel he was at and spoke gently in a hushed tome*
Ben: if there's something wrong you can come to me, you don't have to pretend
Mal: mhhmm
Ben: okay
Mal: I'm yours
Ben: I know
Mal: you're mine?
Ben: always
*he sees the small smile appear on her face as she drifts off for a little while before they go to the lake for lunch*