scene Eleven

We stood in silence, Thomas gripping my hand tightly as we stared at the line for security.
My heart was pounding painfully in my chest, and my eyes itched, though I refused to cry.
We both knew that Thomas would need to go sooner rather than later, since he might miss his flight, but at the same time, both of us didn't want him to go at all.

"I, uh, I probably should go now." The sudden break in our silence caused me to look at up at him, before I turned my gaze to the floor, nodding with my lips pressed tightly together.
I heard him sigh, and he pulled his hand away from mine, wrapping his arms tightly around me.

"This isn't goodbye. It's just a see-you-later. I promise, we will talk everyday, and I'll see you at conventions and meet-ups and whenever else one of us can get away."
The tears I had been holding back began to fall.

"But I don't want you to leave at all!" My voice cracked, and it was like the dam broke.
I sobbed torrentially, and I could feel Thomas' body shake as he mimicked me.

"I'm sorry," he whispered hoarsely, pulling away so he could look at me. "I will be back though. Sooner than you think, I'm sure. Or maybe you can come visit me!"
I squeezed my eyes shut tightly, taking a deep breath, before slowly opening them and nodding once again.

"I'll see you later?" He asked, holding up his pinkie finger. I laughed lightly, smiling just a bit, linking my little finger with his.

"See you later."
With that, Thomas grabbed the handle of his roller carry-on, and walked over to the line. Shuffling my feet, I suddenly burst forward, shouting his name. He turned around just in time to catch me in his arms, and I kissed him passionately, not paying any mind to the passerby.

"I love you," I told him once we pulled away, and he smiled, the corners of his crinkling.

"I love you too, Jon." With that, he kissed me once more, before walking away for good this time. I wrapped my arms around myself, and allowed myself to watch him leave.
He waved at me once he was on the other side, and I watched him walk away, lingering for just a few moments longer- just in case.

Once I knew he was gone for sure, I sniffled, and trudged back to the car, waiting to let out the rest of my tears until I was sitting in the driver's seat.

My phone chirped, and I looked over to it through my watery gaze, smiling when I saw a long text from Thomas with plenty of emojis.
I tapped back a reply, setting my phone down, and began to drive back home.

Alone.