Chapter 4

Lydia's POV:

It felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders when I quit my old job and it felt kind of sad because now I'm leaving Sarah off to deal with Ms. Lynch. "Don't worry about me I've been with Ms. Lynch longer than you have I think I can handle her. And besides she can't stop me from my dreams it's evident that she never stopped you when you told her you were going to quit."

"Stay strong for me Sarah. Stay strong." I said. "I'll try and I just want to let you know that after telling me that Rosie is willing to help you regain your memories I too will also assist you." I was surprised to find out she knew Rosie too. "You know Rosie?" I asked. "Me and Rosie go back. Way back. Don't worry we'll help you get your memories back." Oscar barged in the boutique grabbing me, putting his arm around my shoulder.

"Is there any problem?" he asked. "Nothing. There wasn't a problem until you came into the room." Sarah is still cold toward Oscar after what he and Morris did to her and David. "Aww sweetface that was like a year ago since we went after you. Why don't we settle this and come play with us for a bit."

"Oscar just leave her alone. You said you would stop messing with my friends. Remember?" I said glaring at him. "Looks like Lydia's upset what shall I do?" He thought to himself for a while and looked back to me. "Alright I'll leave her alone. Besides I don't want my little superstar to be upset on her auditions today." I can tell from Sarah scoffing that she's grossed out to see me and Oscar kiss in the store.

When we walked to the theater the only thing I could feel was my heartbeat and the sweat coming from my palms. "Go out there and shine for me sweetface." said Oscar as he opened the door for me. Walking in the theater made me get another flashback and this was a wrong time to be getting a flashback. It was like a rally and I was all dressed up in a red dress and I was dancing with someone and it wasn't Oscar. It was a different boy I couldn't make out the face parts of my memory was blurry but is it telling me that the boy I was dancing with is connected to me?

Ever since that first flashback two days ago I've been getting some sort of nostalgia like feeling that something is coming back to me. I've been getting these weird dreams too. Are my dreams and flashbacks trying to tell me something? "Is everything alright? Are you feeling ok?" A lady wearing a white lacy dress came up to me feeling my forehead. "I'm alright just thinking. I'm ready for my audition. I hope what I sing to you will impress you." I said trying to make a good impression. I have to make a good impression I mean she's Medda Larkson, "The Swedish Meadowlark".

"You don't have to be nervous. I won't bite. And besides I'm sure whatever you sing to me will be beautiful either way. If Aura can impress me, I'm sure you can." She mentioned Aura. I remember Rosie telling me that Aurelia was the Queen of Brooklyn, was Aura her nickname?

During my audition I just let my singing do my work. When I sing I normally zone out and let my voice do the work. Usually I tell a story when I sing. I express my feelings when I sing. And I felt like with the song I came up yesterday I was a bit too emotional and started making hand gestures too go along with it. And I thought the audition would only be with Medda. I saw a boy sitting down next to her admiring me. I tried to block out another flashback when I looked at him. I know when I get a flashback when I can feel a pinging sensation in my head. So I tried to not look at him throughout my song.

"Did anyone tell you that you sing beautifully? Cuz I swear you have talent! You are really good! What have you been doing all this time?" I can tell Medda liked it. "I've been working as a seamstress lately." I said. "Well forget being a seamstress how about you come work for me as a performer. I'm sure your singing will be a great addition to the theater." This is what I've been dreaming about. This is what I've been waiting for. (After that something interesting and somewhat magical happened).

"Do you'se need some help miss?" I looked up from where I was sitting and I saw that same boy. He carried a slingshot and a cane with him as he stuck his hand out. "I'm ok. Just reminiscing." I'm not sure what made him do this but suddenly he grabs me and kisses me. He wraps his arm around my waist pulling me closer to him. I tried to fight back but he was so strong. He takes a break to look at me and pulls me in closer hand on the back of my hair. " I'se finally found you. I'se been trying to look for you. Whatever happened that night I'se apologize for everything. For leaving please Aura don't hate me."

I pushed him away and slapped him in the face straightening my skirt. "I don't know what you're talking about. And I'm not Aura. My name's Lydia. Just wait until I get Oscar Delancey on you. He won't be so happy to hear that you forcibly kissed me." I said trying to act tough. I never used Oscar as a threat but when times get tough like this I have no choice. I just looked at the boy and he had scared and shocked eyes. "They were right. You'se have forgot everything. You don't remember me." he said. "I don't even know you." I said.

"Spot Conlon. I'm sorry for what happened today. I'll leave you alone. No need to tell Oscar I'se gotten enough pain today." Maybe I hurt him too much but I was told that Spot Conlon was supposed to be tough and strong but that's not him right now. I wonder what he was talking about him finding me and leaving me did he do something in the past to hurt me? I saw something shiny fall out of his hand and I went to go pick it up and what I saw was amazing.

A heart shaped locket with a gold butterfly on it. I wanted to give it back to him and maybe apologize for how I acted but he was already gone. It looks like this locket was Aura's. This is getting strange first I'm getting these weird flashbacks and dreams and I had Spot Conlon call me Aura. I feel like some pieces of my past are coming back together. Just when I was about to open the locket I felt someone's arms grab me from behind. "Alright my superstar how did you do?" I immediately recognized the voice to be Oscar's and I quickly put the locket in my bra. "Again we're not married yet. And I got the job. I'm in the joint." Oscar picked me up and started to spin me around. "I knew it! I knew it! I knew you were gonna be a superstar. And all this time you were working as a seamstress."

(Ok again this is me telling this story so I've already took you on a journey to the past. Well my past and if I could pause this moment and mark up what went wrong with a red marker then there would be a whole lot of red markings because almost everything in this scene was wrong because I forgot about Spot entirely and not only that I hit him. I never struck him before. And I still think me and Oscar were meant to be. And again delancey and a street rat like me don't get along, especially if you're a newsie or a newsie's girl. And way before, like way, way before I already have worked for Medda. I was a singer for her then but since of my amnesia I had to audition again. And everyone had to play along to help me regain my memories.)