Birthday Surprise

Carrots? Has anyone seen any carrots? The plot bunny attacked and well, you all are going to reap the benefits. NEW STORY! I've been writing some pretty heavy stuff lately and well, I'm going to lighten it up a bit. It's not going to be a humorous story (though there will be some funny bits) but it will be romantic. Some drama...some light angst (there needs to be some sort of conflict or it wouldn't be worth reading, kids).

Yeah, that isn't mine.

Up next will be the discussions of Edward's extension of his stay, concerns about Becca and Alice's visit to Seattle.

Chapter Nineteen: Birthday Surprise

EPOV

Over dessert, Charlie decided to join the conversation. "So, Edward, what do you do?"

"Well, I'm taking a leave of absence from job as a manager of a luxury resort down off the coast of Rio de Janeiro. My family owns Isle Esme and I usually run the business end of it," I explained.

"What did you major in? Hotel management?" he asked.

"No. My major was business and finance. I went to Harvard for undergrad and received my MBA from Dartmouth," I said.

"Daddy, he's not one of your goons in your interrogation room. Lay off," Bella hissed.

"I want to make sure that Edward can provide for you. I should have done this with...Tyler," Charlie grumbled. He looked back at me. "Now, you're taking a leave of absence. What are you doing now? How are you making money?"

"Well, sir, I've never taken a vacation, so I have a lot of time saved up," I said. "Additionally, I have a fair amount of money saved up. I know I'm staying with Bella and I intend to chip in my fair share. Finally, I've spoken with my sister and well, she reminded me of a few things that I long since put to the side. I am a classically trained musician and a bit of a computer nerd. I started working on a game a long time ago and well, a local company sniffed around for it and I went to get back into it."

"Are you done, Daddy?" Bella asked flatly.

"Not quite," Charlie said. "Do you love my daughter?"

"Sir, I love Bella with every bone in my body. When we met, I was in a dark place and she honestly was the shining light that brought me home. She's smart, beautiful, witty, sarcastic, and perfect...for me. Is our relationship unconventional? Yes, but it's us and nothing and I mean nothing will ever take her away from me. The only way that I leave or we break up is if she tells me she doesn't want me anymore."

"Which will be never," she chimed in, kissing my cheek.

"To put it bluntly, sir, Bella's it for me," I said, looking her father in the eye.

"One final question," Charlie said, tenting his hands. "You straight?"

"Unequivocally."

"Good, because I don't want a repeat of the last wedding."

BPOV

"DADDY!" I shrieked. Some restaurant patrons glared at me. "Stop it!"

"What? It's a valid question," Charlie said, giving me a pointed look. "Edward is very pretty and..."

"Pretty?" I choked. "Edward, I'm so sorry. You're not pretty."

"I'm offended," he smirked.

"Shut up. You're handsome, gorgeous, ruggedly doable," I sputtered out. "Not pretty. What does that have to do with anything, Dad?"