ChapterOne

Harry's POV
FirstYear

"You're sure you'll be fine, Harry?"

The bespectacled 11 year old looked across the enchanted chess board to meet his friends worried eyes. "Yeah," he said giving Ron a slightly hesitant grin. "Of course I will be."

For a moment both boys held each other's gaze. Ron bit his lip and looked away, bobbing his head once before ordering a bishop to place.
"I wish you could come with us," Ron said thoughtfully. Harry didn't have to ask for an elaboration, Christmas break was two days away and Ron was going to Romania to visit his brother Charlie with the rest of the Weasley family.

"Maybe some other time?" Harry offered as he directed one of his knights across the board. Ron promptly made a poor move, it was clear his attention was divided.

"Have you been to Romania before?" Harry asked Ron curiously.

Ron blinked, coming out of his thoughts. "Only once," he responded glaring at the game board as if it would tell him how to win. "When Charlie was getting settled into his new job, I didn't get to see any dragons that time." Charlie Weasley worked with dragons, the fact that there were real, living, breathing dragons out there still baffled Harry. Ron on the other hand had grown up with this sort of thing, as his whole family was made up of wizards and witches, and wasn't put off at all.

"Maybe this time?" Harry asked.

"Maybe." Ron shrugged and took a deep breath like he was preparing for something big and intimidating. "Look, Harry, I know it sucks you'll be at Hogwarts by yourself this Christmas since Hermione and I aren't staying. To make up for it I was wondering if maybe-and you don't have to say yes-" the other boy swallowed obviously flustered, "in fact I'll understand if you say no but maybe you'd like to come visit and stay with my family at some point this summer?" Ron stuttered out his cheeks almost as bright as his hair.

Processing all of what Ron had just said Harry's mood lightened considerably. Smiling like a mad man he nodded. "I'd like that."

Ron's eyes widened. "Okay."  He seemed a bit shocked, like he'd expected Harry to decline his offer. "Alright, I'll tell mum," he said a smile spreading across his face.

"And Ron?" Harry grimaced a bit. "I won't be completely alone you know, Malfoy is staying as well."

Ron looked like he'd just been told that there was something unpleasant stuck to the bottom of his shoe. "Ugh, is he really?"

"According to what I've heard," Harry said.

"Well, I think I'd rather spend Christmas alone than with Malfoy."

Harry shook his head. "Well it's not like I have to talk to him, we won't even be in the same common room."

"Yeah," Ron still didn't seem fond of the idea, though he didn't have to be since he wasn't the one staying behind, "I suppose." Without meaning to both boys sighed in unison, they grinned at each other.

"Don't worry Harry," said Ron. "It won't be that long before Christmas is over, Hermione and I will save you from Draco, and classes will start back up again-" Ron froze mid sentence.
"To think I almost sounded excited at the thought of class." He shuddered. "Bloody hell I've been spending far too much time around Hermione!"

Both boys roared with laughter.

-x-

hey so here's my first real fic that i'm determined to stick to and not give up on aha. this here is the intro to what i'm planning on being a 100k ish long story. hope you enjoy x
and hey don't forget to check out my other works!