ChapterFiftySix

Here's a chapter that's just a little bitter sweet..

Harry's POV
SixthYear-DayEight/Nine(??)

Harry hadn't slept in the last 23, approaching 24, hours. He sat alone in an arm chair in front of the fire in Gryffindor Common Room. His elbows were braced on his knees, digging in, as he leaned forward and ran his hands over his face. He could feel his brain shutting down from exhaustion but he didn't want to go to his own cold bed without Draco. Harry pressed his lips together as he spaced out and his brain replayed his last words with Draco.

Draco had just used the fire in Dumbledores office to communicate with his Mother. Thank Merlin his Mother had answered and not his Father. Who even knew what kind of state the man was in right now, whether he was in his own mind or not.

At first Harry had wondered about Narcissa Malfoy and if she'd turn her son away, surely she'd read the Daily Prophet article by now. But the woman had listened silently to Draco as he'd explained the situation. Once he'd finished she'd been quiet. Harry had been leaning against the opposite wall, feeling stiff and uncomfortable, with his arms crossed watching Narcissa's reaction. He'd watched with baited breath, same as Draco who hadn't been breathing as his Mother had made her decision. She'd nodded brusquely.

Minutes later a pale blonde woman had stepped from the fire place, supporting a similarly featured man. Harry watched as Draco, head bowed with his hands stuffed into his pockets and shoulders slumped, opened his mouth to speak. But before he could say a word she was across the room and tucking him against her body and into her arms, even though he was taller than her by at least a couple inches. As worried as Harry was in that moment he'd known, seeing Narcissa embrace her son like that, as if it would be the last time she'd be able to do so, that Draco would be okay. Narcissa had taken her sons face in her hands, looked him in the eye, and nodded some unspoken message.

Lucius was standing in the corner, looking like a corpse, in the corner by himself staring at nothing.

Dumbledore stepped out of the shadows. "Have you decided who you want your secret keeper to be?" Dumbledore asked. Harry had forgotten that that would be a decision that would have to be made.

"The Dark Lord, nor anyone else, would ever get the information from you?" Narcissa asked.

The old man shook his head slowly.

The pale woman took in a shaky breath and peered from her son to her husband. "I can cast the spell, I even have a location, but- will you be our Secret Keeper?"

Dumbledore stared at her for a long moment before simply nodding. "Apparate your husband and myself to the location. Leave Draco here with Harry and come back for him once you've delivered the two of us."

Narcissa looked wary but took her husbands limp hand and extended her free arm to Dumbledore, who took it. A loud pop later and they were gone.

"So I-" Harry cleared his throat. "Uh I guess this is good bye-"

Draco interrupted him by stepping forward and sweeping him into a rib crushing hug. Harry immediately shut up and returned the gesture, burying his face into the other boys neck. "I'll miss you," Harry whispered roughly.

Draco pulled back to survey him. Despite everything a small grin turned up the corners of the other boys thin pink lips. "Don't get all sappy on me," he said eyes twinkling.

Harry choked out a laugh. "You know I really l-"

"Shh.." Draco pressed their foreheads together. "The feelings mutual," he said in a voice so quiet that Harry hardly heard him.

"You didn't even let me finish."

"I knew what you were going to say."

"How?"

"I know you." Their lips brushed, just barley. Then a loud popping signalled that Narcissa Malfoy was back and Draco stepped away abruptly. Suddenly there were meters between them and the cold rushed back against Harry's body where Draco's warmth had just been.

He watched, unable to move or speak, as Draco went back to stand beside his Mother. He didn't look at Harry again until he was gripping her upper arm and then, just as their eyes met, he disappeared. And Harry was left alone.

But Harry wasn't really alone. He had his best mates supporting him. Ron and Hermione were at his side, same as always, and he was beyond grateful for that, for them. However, he couldn't help but feel, as he dozed off by the fire in Gryffindor Tower, that a part of him was missing.

-x-

I used this ch as an excuse for procrastinating like 10000 other things that are more urgent ayy think of it as like a bonus because last week I didn't post:/

This is the last chapter for sixth year and one of the last chapters of this story. I know I said that a few posts ago but I came up with a few other ideas that I wanted to weave in. But now that that's done "Underneath the Mistletoe" really is coming to an end. (dw I have plenty other fics in store;)