ChapterEight

Harry's POV
FirstYear-Night of Day Eight

Both boys were crashed out, at the end of a sugar high, in the same position as the night before. One minute Malfoy had been roaring with laughter the next he had passed out in an armchair. Harry watched the other boys chest as it steadily rose and fell, resting on his chest was a small tin full of cherry scones. That afternoon Harry had figured out it was probably the only present Malfoy had received that he actually cared about, but he wasn't sure what the meaning behind the scones were.

Although he was exhausted from the day (which had been surprisingly enjoyable since it had been spent in Malfoy's presence) Harry found he was unable to fall asleep as easily as Malfoy had. His eyes glazed over as he stared into the light of one of the glowing green lanterns that hung from the ceiling.

But what could have been minutes or an hour later Harry was still awake. With a quiet (as he didn't want to wake Malfoy) sigh of frustration Harry slipped from the chair and grabbed his father's cloak. Before Harry left the common room he took the tin from Malfoy's chest (even the slightest shift in sleep would send it crashing to the stone floor) and was about to deposit it on the intricately carved ledge above the fireplace when he saw a note attached to the inside of the tin's lid. He knew he shouldn't but Harry just had to know what made this gift so special. With slight reluctance he carefully unfolded the note and read

Happy Christmas Draco darling,

Made with much love, time, and care the way I know you like them.

I know there has always been a lot of pressure on your shoulders to be in Slytherin House. Draco I want you to know that I am incredibly proud, even if you had been sorted into a different house, of the young man you are becoming. I know it must be hard spending Christmas alone and I apologize for being unable to tell you the reason you can't come home this Holiday Season. Trust your mother when I say there is no one more sorry than I that you can't come back to the manor.

I miss you, enjoy the cherry scones (do not eat them all at once or you will be sick!)

xoxo ~Mother

Sometimes maybe, Harry thought, there was more to a person then one assumed.

-x-

Harry traveled slow and silent through the halls, worried the cloak might flap up and someone might see his feet. After some time though Harry realized that he was so short his true worry should be that someone would step on the fabric that dragged some bit behind him. That worry eventually ebbed away as well, as it seemed no one else was up at this hour, in fact Harry was so delighted and distracted with the genius of the cloak he didn't notice he was wandering.
Didn't notice until he broke from the trance of long dark corridors, sleeping paintings that snored, and moving staircases. Only noticed when he opened the door to a room that appeared to be an abandoned classroom.

Harry eyes roved the room, he could make out the shadows of desks and chairs stacked high against the walls, that's when he spotted something that didn't look like it belonged. It was so tall that if even an inch more had been added it would have scraped the ceiling. The frame a gleaming gold shine in the dusty darkness, Harry could even make out the two ornate feet that supported it. But what was it? He was sure he wasn't supposed to be in here but something in Harry's blood sang to him saying that this was an adventure and he had just made an epic discovery. With nervous excitement Harry closed the door behind him with a nearly inaudible snick!

As he approached Harry felt slightly disappointed when he got close enough to see that the towering object was just a mirror. But in the wizarding world was a mirror ever really 'just a mirror'? Determined to find something special Harry squinted into the dark to look closer. Inscribed into the top ridge of the frame were the words: Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi.

What language was that in? Harry wondered unable to recognize or comprehend the words. Taking a step back so that he could get a clear look at himself in the reflection Harry barely muffled the scream that threatened to escape. Whirling around to see behind him Harry saw...nothing? Heart ricocheting around within his chest Harry looked back into the mirror where he saw the same thing he had the first time. In the mirror's glass was not only himself but also a familiar blonde Slytherin, when Harry looked over his shoulder there  was no one else with him. Harry watched as his reflection turned away from him to instead face the mirror figure of Draco Malfoy.

Harry watched himself, totally mesmerized, as Mirror-Malfoy held out a hand to Mirror-Harry who took the other boys hand in a firm hold to shake it. Harry stood baffled as both boys smiled at each other in the mirror. Harry willed his feet to step away but they stayed rooted in place, an odd ache began to grow in the pit of Harry's stomach, he didn't like it. What was this? Harry wanted to shout. What did it mean? His head was spinning as Mirror-Malfoy slung an arm around Mirror-Harry's neck to ruffle his hair. He wanted to tear his eyes away from the reflection but found that he couldn't. Image after image of Harry laughing or Malfoy play shoving him appeared in the mirror's glass.

Eventually, finally, a far off noise brought Harry back to the abandoned classroom. Jerking back he dragged his eyes away and breathing heavily  grabbed his father's cloak from the floor, stirring up a whirl of dust in his wake, he tore from the room terrified of looking back. Because Harry was certain that if he stood in front of that mirror ever again he would never be able to look away.

-x-

I wanted to keep the plot mostly the same to JK Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" so Harry still found the mirror of Erised. Of course I had to have some fun;) so hey! why not make Harry's greatest heart's desire having Malfoy as a "friend"???