ChapterThirtyFive

Harry's POV
NightOfTheYuleBall

Harry's day had started out smoothly enough. He received no warning to the feelings that would bubble up inside him later that night.

He'd woken up along with the rest of the boys to open presents. Dean and Seamus lay sprawled together on the same bed, Neville sat surrounded by wrapping paper, and Ron hooted and hollered. Harry couldn't hold back his smile, clearly the Christmas spirit had consumed them all.

A little later on, Dobby surprised him with a visit and a pair of handmade socks. One red, with tiny broomsticks, the other green with golden snitches. He was both embarrassed and flattered that Dobby had remembered him. Harry dug around in his trunk, pretending he'd gotten the house elf a gift in return. Finally, relieved he'd found something, Harry pulled out a pair of mustard yellow socks.

Harry and the Weasley siblings spent the rest of the day outside in the snow. The grounds were covered in a thick layer of the white substance and it was perfect for packing. Big flurries fell from the sky as they, and numerous other students, took advantage of the impeccable winter weather.

Hermione had been with them too, that was until she'd left to go prepare for the ball. Ron was still convinced that she didn't actually have anyone to go with. Harry however didn't think it was like her to lie to them about a date to the ball.

-x-

While Hermione had taken three hours to get ready, he and Ron had scrambled themselves together at the very last minute. Dean, Seamus, and Neville too. The boys dormitory was a mess of exploding trunks, clothes, and yelling. Dean cleaned up nicely with little to no complaint, however he seemed to be sulking about something unknown to Harry. Seamus was going with Lavender Brown and pestered them all with questions none of them had good answers to. "Do you think Lavender would prefer the scent of pine trees or old spice?" and "Does Lavender prefer me with my hair combed up or down?" It was at this point that Dean had muttered something under his breath before departing without further explanation. Neville on the other hand was hopping around nervously while practicing his dance steps. This only made Harry more anxious for the long night ahead. Harry also caught Ron glaring at Neville, he thought it was because the other boy was going to the ball with Ginny. Ron's younger sister.

Harry was unsure about his hair and robes but didn't say anything in front of Ron who definitely had it even worse. His best mates dress robes looked more like an old ladys dress from the 18th century, especially with the lace around the collar. Harry had to physically haul Ron out of the dormitory and down to the common room where he was meeting Parvati. On the way down Ron started furiously arguing "I can't go Harry! I really can't! Not like this!" He ignored Ron and instead thought about something Draco had told him.
"Just tell her she looks nice. Girls love that."

When they got to the common room and Harry saw Parvati in her glossy pink robes he grinned broadly and told her she looked lovely. And she really did. Large gold earings hung glinting from her ears and her glistening dark hair was tied back into a loose plait. Certain strands were gently curled and left to hang down and frame her face. Parvati had blushed and smiled shyly up at him. She took his arm when he offered it, as Draco had instructed him to, and the three of them made their way down to the entry hall where they were meeting Padma.

-x-

When they arrived there was an awkward pause where Padma gave Ron a once over and a look of hopelessness spread across her face. Ron caught on, his scowl only deepened. Moments later Professor McGonagall came along and dragged Harry and Parvati to where the rest of the champions and their dates were gathered. His head of house ushered them into place. "When the doors open you are to enter in a straight and orderly fashion!" she'd stressed to the small group of them.