Chapter 15: "An Overwhelmingly Courteous Gentleman"

"Wow, it truly has been years." Mads regarded to himself.

"What has?" I sat on my hands to keep myself from tearing off the damned blindfold that deprived me of seeing my surroundings.

Mads seemed to disregard what I had asked and began rustling around as the limo slowly came to a complete stop.

"Are you ready Elise?"

Even though I could not see his face, I felt Mads' winning smile pierce through my skin as he brought his cool hands to my strikingly warm cheeks.

There was something about his delicate touch and joyous embrace that made me feel comforted and reassured.

"As I'll ever be." I smiled and placed my hands on top of his, leading them to untie the blindfold.

He leaned in and began to untie the harsh knot, being ever so careful not to get his fingers caught in the midst of my hair. I felt my eyelashes brush along the descending cloth of the blindfold as it slipped down my face.

It startled me, just how close Mads' face was to my own. I wanted nothing more than to taste him in that moment. I rose my face in, closer and closer to his, until the tips of our noses tickled one another. But he jolted back as soon as I began to tilt my chin into his.

Mads' smile grew even larger than before, as though he was onto what I was trying to do.

"Come, Elise. It's time." He opened the door and took my hand.

My heart skipped a beat and my body froze in awe as my eyes wandered about the Victorian palace whose structured aura glistened into the crisp frosty air; where Spring had obviously not yet sprung. A long, royal blue carpet lead from the drop-off all the way to the grand entrance ... yet "grand" was an understatement when describing the absolute monument of an entrance that stood directly before us.

I turned around to take in every minuscule aspect of the beautiful country from which Mads reigned. In the dead center of the street lied a statue, at least two stories tall, of a man riding a horse. Although unsure of whom the chiseled figure was, I knew that it brought some sort of significance to the palace of which we were about to enter.

"Sweetheart, are you alright?" Mads' eyes grew heavy with concern.

I twitched, startled by his voice. "Oh! Yes, I'm terribly sorry."

By this point, he must have thought me a ditz with her head in the clouds.. Constantly daydreaming. I mean, he had snapped me out of a complexed trance multiple times already. I truly did need to keep better control of my focus, but I found the fine line separating reality from fantasy to be nonexistent whenever I was with him. Which, of course, made it all the more difficult.

Mads took my arm and intertwined it within his own. He took a deep breath and forced his shoulders back to straighten his posture. As we walked down the velvety carpet, I couldn't help but smile at how perfect of a couple we looked together... a remarkably dashing couple at that. For the first time, although be it in a different country, we would be seen together openly in public.

A man dressed in all red greeted us at the door and lead us into the grand ballroom. Hundreds upon hundreds of men and women dressed in their greatest formal attire danced and mingled among one another. A tall, slender English woman stood at the head of the room, with a fully equipped orchestra behind here, glorifying her every note as she sang the all-time classic, "It's Crazy; by Laura Fygi".

Mads brought us over to the nearby bar and began speaking to the bartender, whom I noticed was wearing the same red suit as the man who greeted us at the entrance, in Danish.