Chapter 26: "Le Toit"

"It's nice to see you too, Elise." Arnie chuckled as he turned from his seat at the bar.

Once again, I wasn't aware of what the fuck was going on; but I knew that this time, I was not going to back down from getting my answers. I was substantially tired of being kept in the dark and I wasn't going to let these boys play any more mind games with me... not on my birthday, that was for damn sure.

I glared directly into his crystal-blue irises. "I'm serious, Arnie, what the hell is going on here?"

Arnie opened his mouth as if he were about to spill an ocean of juicy secrets, but looked back to Mads' oh-so neutral expression and immediately sealed his lips shut. It was obvious that they had some unofficial agreement of silence for the situation at hand, but I wasn't certain as to why.

What could possibly be so alarming that both Mads and Arnie would only resort to absolute secrecy?

"Elise..." Mads finally spoke up. "Arnie is here because I invited him. I thought that it was high time we let you in on what's been going on, together."

I snorted sarcastically. "Seriously... You thought that now, on my birthday of all days, was the best time to explain the fucking shit-storm that went on between the two of you. The incident in which you two nearly fucking killed each other? You think that now, now is the best time, hmmm?"

"Darling, I realize that this is not an ideal situation, nor is it expected of you to discuss this right now..."

"Oh no!" I exclaimed with the same flustered sarcasm. "I think that now is more opportune a time than any! Please, do not hesitate to explain."

Mads exhaled into a stressed sigh as he pinched the back of his neck and mouthed the word, 'fuck'.

Arnie hopped up and set his hands softly on my shoulders, giving them a slight shove. "Elise, it's probably best if you take a seat."

Still provoked, I skeptically sat in Arnie's seat with my legs crossed, waiting attentively for the two of them to rid their choking.

"So.." He continued. "I'm sure you're probably wondering what it is that caused the outburst that Mads and I had back in Los Angeles."

"Wow, check out the big brains on Brett." I detested back playfully.

Mads ultimately spoke up. "Elise, it was all just a misunderstanding."

"A misunderstanding? Really? Could you be any more ambiguous?"

"I'm not trying to be..." Mads sighed again. "Listen, the reason that I've been so secretive has only been to protect you. My wife... She..."

He paused to look at Arnie and collect his thoughts before resuming on. "She said something to Arnie that wasn't true and it inevitably set him off."

My eyes narrowed in dismay. "What did she say exactly?"

Arnie, now, took advantage of his turn to speak. "She lied, Elise. That's all that matters."

"No... No that's not all that matters. This lie drove the two of you to enraged violence. Now, I asked what she said and I want to know."

Longer moments of silence arose as I grew every bit more antsy.

"Fuck this." I stood up and stomped off, unsure where to, in my cherry-red high heels. "I'm done playing games."

"Baby Doll.." Mads grabbed my arm, but I yanked it from his grip.

"Don't you dare fucking 'Baby Doll' me, Mads. I'm tired of you hiding things from me; I won't live a life of secrets."

"Elise, I only want what's best for you..."

"Then tell me! Just tell me what she said. I need you to be honest with me."

"Fine..." He groaned as he slicked back his silvery blond locks. "She claimed that I was going to pull out of the production at the last minute and leave Arnie in a massive debt."

"Wait.. What?" I shook my head.

"He got upset and a bit manic, as he sometimes does, and blew up at me. Again, it was all a misunderstanding."

Arnie nodded his head toward me in reassurance of Mads' words.

"B-but I don't understand. Why would she create an absurd lie like that?"

"I told you, Elise, she's making this divorce much messier than needs be."

"My God." I placed my hands on my hips and huffed. "What a bitch?!"

Mads snuck his arms underneath mine and bundled me into a pleasantly soothing hug. "Baby Doll, you don't need to worry about it. This is why I was so hesitant to explain everything to you in the first place. I wanted so desperately to avoid bringing you into my problems."

"I... I... I don't know what to say." I struggled to contain my urge to cry.

Mads looked down into my glossy eyes and kissed me hard over my dark red lips; almost as if to silently say, 'You belong to me and I will always make everything alright.'.

"You needn't say anything. You need only dry those beautiful green eyes and enjoy the rest of your night with me."

I hate it when he's right.

"Okay." I answered simply as we went to accompany Arnie at the bar.

"So, what's so special about this place?" Arnie was expertly quick to change the subject.

I giggled to Mads timidly. "Haha.. I haven't even the slightest clue where we are."

Until that point, I hadn't given my surroundings a second look; I was far too pre-occupied with gaining answers to my questions. We were outside, at a far higher elevation than most other buildings throughout the city; which was impressive considering the surplus of outrageously tall buildings New York held. As I had stated before, the music was soothing and avidly infectious. The further around I looked, the more I noticed how discreet and elegant each moderate individual was.

"Le Toit, I believe. I've actually never been here before, but I've heard good things and assumed it would be a fun place to try for the night."

"Wait, wait... Did you say 'Le Toit'? As in THE Le Toit?" Arnie's eyes widened three sizes. "This is one of the most popular, A-listed clubs on the entire east coast. How in the hell did you manage get us in here?"

Mads shrugged his shoulders and smiled just as the bartender came to make our drinks.

"...Celebrities..." Arnie shook his head with laughter. "God only knows what to do with them."