Chapter 33: "Sammy-wammy & Bella"

Fuckin' hell... I don't know how many more of these 'secret relationships' I can take...

Annabella smiled in preparation of a response while Sam kept silent. "Oh Elise, what a surprise! You're still in the city? I'd thought that you would've been back in L.A. by now."

She persisted to move her eyes all about the café. "Where's Mads? Is he close by?"

Great... I'm guessing she didn't get the memo either.

"Umm no. He's, uhhh... he's.... No, no I came alone. But never mind that, how have you been? I didn't know that you were still in the city..." I brought my nervous gaze to Samuel. "Nor did I know that Sam was here also."

"Oh, yes!" She exclaimed. "I had nearly forgotten that you two were working on Arnie and Mads' film together. It's funny actually, my little Sammy was just telling me about how the production's been postponed upon Arnie's request, but I'm sure Mads has already told you that."

No, I've managed to dodge that important bit of information.

"Anywho, Sammy-wammy has decided to spend the remainder of the month here, with me, until the end of my Vogue shoot. He just flew in yesterday! Oh darling, isn't he simply the sweetest?"

Sammy-wammy?

"Uhhhh... yeah." I forced a polite grin upon my face as I shot a stealthy glare in Sam's direction.

This bastard's awfully quiet.

"Hey Annabella, would you mind if I stole away Sammy-wammy for a just moment? I have a few questions about an individual film of my own and I figured he'd be the one to ask for a few pointers." The sarcasm in my faux tone of voice certainly pushed the envelope of my sincerity.

She took a delicate sip of her cappuccino before standing up. "But of course, darling! Take all the time you need! I have to run to the ladies' room anyhow... So I'll leave the two of you to it."

Samuel timidly gulped as she walked away and I took her place across the table. Beads of sweat glistened on his forehead as the florescent lighting elucidated his fear all the more.

Ridding myself of all simplicities, I cut right to the chase. "Spill."

"I... I'm afraid that I don't know what you're talking about." He shrugged, allowing the goosebumps to absorb his fevered skin.

"Listen here Sam," I pushed away his drink. "I have heard so much fucking bullshit in the last week, that my ears are literally oozing with it... it's fucking ridiculous. So cut past the bullshit, grow a pair, and be fucking straight with me because I know that you're aware of the situation. It's pretty damn convenient that you just so happened to fly in the same exact day that I did; what has he put you up to? Has he sent you here to stalk me as well... to convince me to come back? Because if that's the case, you're wasting your time; it's not going to fucking happen."

"Shit..." He exhaled heavily, bringing his cup back within his reach. "C'mon Elise, you know him well enough to know he'd never cheat on you."

"Are you kidding me?! I haven't the slightest idea who the fuck he is; everything that man told me, everything he claimed to feel for me, was a lie. Don't defend him for the crap he's put me through."

"I'm not trying to, I'm simply saying that you should at least hear him out. He's been through a lot, Elise..."

Right, and I haven't?

I bit the inside of my right cheek and shook my head, staring off through the window at the pedestrians passing by. "Why, Sam? Why does he deserve a single wasted second of my time?"

"Because every single second of his time revolves around you!" He hi-fived the corner of his forehead. "Lord, Elise, don't you get it? This man has been to fucking hell and back for you and you're so set on this single-minded track of yours that you don't even realize it."

".... Just what is it you expect me to do, then?"

He folded his hands into his lap and finally took the opportunity to inhale. "Listen. Elise, if nothing else, just listen."

Annabella crept up from behind me and startled my body with an intensifying hug. "What'd I miss?"

What didn't you miss...

"Nothing substantial." Samuel answered as he scanned the watch that wrapped tightly around his thin wrist. "We should be on our way now, Bella. We don't want to be late for the 12:30 shoot."

"Tsk... Tsk..." She folded her arms across her chest and kissed the top of my head. "These darn schedules make it impossible to have any fun at all. Do promise me that we'll catch up soon, darling."

"Of course, of course." My expression brightened until I watched her walk out the café door.

Samuel turned to me before following along in Annabella's footsteps. "Take care, Elise. And if you haven't already, you might want to take peep into your luggage."

My luggage?

The young-woman from the front counter slipped my tea and banana-nut muffin onto the table with another enthused smile. While somewhat annoyed with her persona, I found her innocence and vulnerability to be quite admirable. It reminded me much of myself... or at least the person I used to be... a person whom I wished I still was.

"Is there anything else that I can get for you, m'am?"

"No... No, I'll be alright. Thank you."