6 | Goodbyes

**** TOBINS POV ****

I took a big gulp of my coffee. I was running late to meet Skyler at the soccer match at her college. Her older sister played there and she wanted me to come and support with her.

We've been trying to communicate a lot more and are sort of working things out now... Though I go back to Washington, D.C. Tomorrow morning, we decided to work out the distance. I'm glad, this is the longest relationship I've ever had.

"Hey tobs, aren't you going to the game today?" My brother came downstairs wearing a Portland thorns tee. His curly hair was a mess.

"Yeah. Could you tell mom not to wait for me during dinner if I come back after 7? You guys should eat, keep your schedules." I said. I munched down my last bagel and grabbed my SnapBack before heading out.

"Sure." He smiled at me and gave me a quick hug as I leaved.

I got a bit lost finding the field but I finally did. I texted Skyler. She was already in the stands. I paid the entry fee and went through the field gate. Sky waved at me as I saw her parents behind her.

"Hello." I smiled as they all greeted me. I sat beside Sky and gave her a quick peck on the cheek. Not many people were there so nobody was paying attention to us anyway.

Her sister ended up scoring two goals, making them win 3-1. It was all great, but Sky and I wanted to spend some alone time before I had to leave.

We walked back to my car and drove to downtown. We spent the whole day in laughter and enjoyment.

"I'll miss you tobs." Sky said as I dropped her off at her apartment.

"Yeah... Miss you too." I frowned as she got out.

We only kissed goodbye, but that's the only thing that needed to be done. I didn't want to rush things again. We needed to work more on our emotional rather than physical level.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Miss, we've landed." I got poked on my shoulder and woken up. I had finally arrived at Washington, D.C. From there, we'd all go to Germany for our 2011 World Cup. I was excited to get to spend more time with all my teammates again.

As I got out of the gate, I saw Rapinoe, Syd, and Christen. Christen was giggling about something the two best friends joked on.

"Hey guys. Are you waiting for the rest of the team?" I chimed in.

"TOBIN!!!" Pinoe said and jumped on me. All my luggage went to the floor. A few people were looking at us and laughing. I was laughing as well as I wrapped my arms around my friend and spun around.

"Gee. Missed you too pinoe." I joked as she jumped off.

"Hey TOBYYY!" Syd wrapped me in a hug.

Next Christen waved at me. We've known each other a couple of weeks so I thought at least a friendly hug would be ok.

I giggled and pulled her in to a small side hug. She gently hugged back and smiled, a little embarrassed.

Once all our team arrived, the bus came to take us to our hotel room.

"Is it alright if I sit with you? I don't know who else to it with.." Christen said shyly as we got into the bus. Alex eyes me from behind Christen. I shrugged, it's not game day so it shouldn't matter right?

"Sure." I smile at my new friend.

I winked at Alex so she would take the opportunity to sit with Kelley. Alex just smiled at me and sat beside Kelley.

Christen listened to her music on our way back.

"Alright ladies- here's the roommate arrangement..." Pia said. I didn't really listen until my name was called up.

"Tobin... You're with Christen." Christen smiled and I did as well. It'll be fun getting to know her more now.

"Alex you're with Kelley... I've split you best friends apart because we need to focus. On the game and on that only. Leave your boyfriends, girlfriends behind, family, just think about making them proud alright ladies? " she said as we all agreed.

"See you in the morning, we'll be leaving at around 5 am to the airport."

With that, we all headed to our rooms to get some rest.

I chose my bed and Christen chose her's.

"Hey do you mind if I play some music and read a little? It won't be a loud if you want to sleep." She said with hopeful eyes.

"Nah, it's fine. I'm not that tired anyways."
"Ok cool" she smiled and took out her iPhone player. She hooked up her iPhone and started playing some Calvin Harris.

"I love that guy!" I exclaimed as Christen smiled. She turned it up some more but not too loud to bother the other rooms around us.

She sang along quietly and I smiled to myself as I heard her sing.

Unexpected, my phone buzzed from a call. I turned it over and found it was Skyler. The forward quickly looked at me and turned off the music so I could pick up. I nodded my head at her as a thank you before answering.

"Hey, how was your flight?" I could hear she was in a hurry. If she was in a hurry then I don't see why she would call in the first place, even thought she said she would I would understand if she was busy.

"Pretty well. Just super tiring... You know how it is flying on a plane. It'll be worse tomorrow when we leave." I said messing around with the bed sheets.

I heard shuffling beside me and realize Christen had got up to her bag. The zippers opened and she took out a pair of shorts and long sleeve Nike shirt.

"Yeah. I'm sorry babe, but I hope you feel a lot better! When do you think..."

I stopped listening as Christen turned her back to me and pulled down her pants. Her long slick legs showed as her black lace panties got covered up again with the new shorts.

"So?" I heard on the other line. I don't know how long I'd been silent. Christen was pulling her shirt up now and I quickly looked away.

"Um... Sorry. again?" I said 

"Do you think I could come and watch you for a couple games? Like the quarter's and semis. I won't be there to distract you in the final babe." She sighed.

"Oh... I don't know... I mean you can come and watch but you know I'll be pretty busy with everything."

"I know. But I still want to show my love and support ok?"

"Ok"

"Well I have to go now.. Sleep tight."

"You too."

And with that the line went dead. It's been a while since we told each other we loved each other.

I looked up and thankfully, Christen was already in her bed reading a book.

I quickly changed with my back turned to her, too embarrassed that I awed over her earlier. I really shouldn't be doing that.

I got in bed.

"Want me to turn the lights off?" The hazel eyed girl asked looking over at my bed. She clearly saw I was ready to sleep.

"It's ok. You can keep reading. I don't mind the light." I smiled back.

She let out a gentle 'ok' as I sighed and started closing my eyes.

They closed... And they opened... Closed.. Opened... The last thing I remember staring at was Christen smiling at me and saying goodnight before my eyes closed for good this time.