It's For The Best

Dedicated to my 39th fan!!!

......................................................................................................

A shocked silence fell over all of us. My mind was slow to process what had just happened. She’d done it. Marley had finally reached her goal. She’d effectively opened her big mouth and ruined my life. Now everyone knew my secret. I’m never going to have my own privacy and space ever again. Everyone around the world will know everything about me. People will try and use me to get closer to Lucas. Lucas...Oh god. Everyone must think I’m a hussy! Marley just announced to the world that I practically seduced her boyfriend into my bed using my status as ‘best friend’ to my advantage.

I felt a lump form in my throat as my eyes prickled with tears. I wasn’t a crier. The last time I cried was at the airport the day Lucas left. Other then that I only cried out of frustration and anger. But I wanted nothing more than to break down into a heap on the floor and sob my heart out. My old life was gone, ruined, things will never be the same again.

Jenny will hate me. I’ll lose my only true friend at school. She hates attention so how the hell could she cope with pestering paparazzi? And mom and dad? I’d worked so hard to stay incognito. My parents had spent years trying to shove me into the limelight and I’d fought with them every step of the way, looks like now they’ll be getting their wish. Then there’s Lucas...oh shit. Everything’s ruined!

66^

Sue was frozen on the sofa, mouth hanging open in bewilderment. John was the first to recover, thawing out and snatching the remote off of the coffee table and switching off the TV. I felt and ice cold tear trickle down my cheek and closed my eyes.

No. No. No. No. No! This can NOT be happening! I was going to lose everything. My privacy, my best friend, my reputation...I couldn’t lose Lucas too. But I knew I would. He couldn't be associated with this kind of bad publicity. He was hollywood’s golden boy, rising teen star and oscar nominee for greatest breakthrough actor of the year. He had the perfect girlfriend in Marley James, the perfect body, perfect career, perfect parents. He didn’t need to be associated with me, the slut who would destroy his dazzling career at his prime.

I wanted to turn around and look at Lucas but I was scared of his reaction. His hold on me that had gone slack with shock were now tightening around me. I flinched, not wanting to hear what he had to say next. If I lost him I was positive I couldn’t survive. I needed him.

I screwed my eyes shut tighter which caused a few stray tears to squeeze out. Lucas leaned in closer so he could whisper in my ear. His breathing sounded laboured, angry. This caused my heart to kick into overdrive. Every fibre in my being begged for him to just stop there, to not say what I knew was coming next. I felt my body tense and brace for the time when my best friend, my Lucas would send my happy world shattering down.

“Bambi...” He sounded strained. I couldn’t help it. The choking tsunami of sadness crashed over me and a sob escaped my lips. I began shaking as more sobs racked through me. I was on the verge of hysteria as tears fell from my eyes like waterfalls. Sue and John looked distressed and concerned but I didn't want their pity. I knew it was best for Lucas to let me go. But it’s harder for me then it was for him, he didn't need me like I needed him now. Everything was silent as my sobs turned to hiccups and my eyes burned from all the crying. I felt hollow. I had nothing left to give, I was all cried out.