Straightening Things Out

Dedicated to my 41st fan!!!

..............................................................................................................

I was sitting on the couch, extremely nervous for what was to come. Sue sat on my left and John on my right. I was squeezing both of their hands tightly in my anxiety. They were both uttering soothing words to me but I couldn’t hear them, my attention was focused on the presenter on the TV who had just announced that Lucas Wolfe had arrived in the building and was making his way to the studio.

The crowd awaited his arrival excitedly. The presenter looked worried as to the events that were about to unfold right in front of him in a matter of minutes. He was a TV presenter and not a marriage counselor after all. Marley was perched on the same couch as before and was nibbling her nails nervously. Obviously she now knew that any hope she had of getting back together with Lucas had vanished when she’d opened her big mouth.

There was a period of awkward silence drifting through the TV screen as emotions ran on a high. Suddenly the crowd let out a collective cheer and the camera cut to Lucas running on stage still attaching his mic properly. He gave a sheepish smile when he realized people were watching him. I almost crushed Sue’s hand. He was nervous. I should have gone with him, supported him, and made sure he was okay.

He glared at Marley as he sat down on the couch as far away from her as possible. The presenter gulped visibly at the hostility between the couple. Lucas braced his arms on his knees as he leaned forward. A gesture that meant he was ready to get down to business.

“Right, I’m sorry about that Tom. I’m here now and I’m willing to answer any question about mine and Marley’s break up and to set a few things straight.”

Tom – the presenter – visibly relaxed and looked to the crowd. He gave a small smile. “Let us just confirm Lucas and Marley have agreed to this impromptu interview on short notice and have therefore agreed to answer any question we or our student audience have, without the official approval of publicists or agents.”

Luke nodded in confirmation looking deadly serious. Marley looked like she was about to burst into tears. The presenter turned to Luke and cleared his throat. “So, Lucas, tell us why you and Marley broke up.”

Lucas looked to Marley and in an emotionless voice asked. “Should you tell them the truth or should I?”

Marley looked at the ground, unwilling to answer. Lucas nodded and looked directly at the camera. “There were many problems with our relationship. Like any other couple we kept things private but things haven’t been running smoothly for a while. Marley’s possessiveness and lack of support of my choice of friends are what brought things to a head.”

“Is this the same ‘friend’ you’ve been sleeping with behind her back?” Shouted someone from the audience. Lucas stared blankly into the crowd.

Tom looked flustered and addressed the crowd. “The studio audience will have a chance to ask questions later.” He chastised.

Lucas shook his head. “No, it’s quite alright.” He took a breath and looked out into the crowd. “Can whoever asked the question stand up please?”