Chapter 19- The Ugly Truth

Edited this chapter as best I could. Feel free to point out any mistakes.

Angelique's P.O.V.

Today is the day we escape to South Africa. I'm a little nervous and scared that Grandpa McNally will find out the truth behind where we're going. He's been really on edge lately now that most of us are gone. I know he's bound to figure out what we've planned but I hope that doesn't happen until we're safely in another country. A place that he can't find us. Scott has already made the arrangements for our travels so I'm a little less stressed. He was strapping Lucas into his car seat, luckily Lucas is asleep. I brought down the last of our luggage which consisted of two large suitcases, a stroller and a two backpacks, one with only baby stuff in it.

"You ready?" Scott asked taking the suitcases from me and loading them into the awaiting car.

"Yeah, I just need to go and grab the passports," I replied.

"I'll go get them, stay here with Lucas," Scott replied and left. I smiled as I looked at Lucas through the back window of our car. He looked so peaceful when he was asleep.

"What exactly do you need your passports for if you're only going to visit your grandmother?" Grandpa McNally asked in a deep dangerous voice. My worst fear just came true.

"I just like having them with me, you know, just in case you'd have to leave the country due to an emergency," I lied moving closer to the front door uncomfortably.

"Do you really think I'm that stupid? Stop lying Angelique, I wasn't born yesterday. I've raised five children, I know when you're lying," he moved closer to me. I panicked and got in the car as quickly as possible. I locked all the doors and watched as Grandpa McNally stalked angrily towards the window. I hope Scott comes down soon.

"Hahaha, I have the keys. Get out now," he said laughing humorlessly.  My blood suddenly ran cold as he dangled the keys in front of me. I quickly moved to the other door and got out. I started running and I could hear him following me. I ran around the truck and towards the stairs for the house but I never made it. He grabbed me and pulled me towards his chest holding me tightly in place.

"Let go of me," I struggled in his hold.

"I trained you, did you really think you could outsmart or outrun me. You're very predictable," he whispered in my ear. I scrunched up my nose and tried moving away from him again.

"I trusted you, how could you?" I fired at him.

"Darling, never trust anyone, least of all me. It's the first rule of survival when you're involved with a gang," he stated smirking darkly.

"You're plan will never work, Scott will always be and always have been one step ahead of you," I spat.

"Now that's where you're mistaken darling, I'm the one who's always going to be and always has been one step ahead. I've been planning this since Scott turned sixteen," he replied.

"You'll never get away with this," I replied still struggling.

"I already have. I don't want to have to kill you so I'm going to propose you join me by my side and do this with me," he suggested tightening his hold on me.

"What will happen if I don't?" I asked trying to form a plan in my head.

"if you don't I'll kill both Scott and Lucas," he replied.

"No! If you do that I'll kill myself and then you're screwed anyway," I pressed in order to get his attention.

"What makes you think I need you?" He challenged.

"You love me, that's why. I'm not stupid, I know the only reason you trained me was because you liked me," I replied.

"Suppose that's true, will you go with me or will you watch how I take everything from you?" He growled squeezing me tighter.

"Why would I go with you? You're just a power hungry monster," I challenged.

"Because you love Scott and you'd do anything for him," he replied. Just then Scott came down the stairs his weapon already drawn.

"Grandpa let go of her," he ordered pointing his gun at Grandpa McNally.

"Lower your weapon Scott or little Angie's brains get blown out," Grandpa McNally stated pointing his own gun to my head.

"We're you really that power hungry that you had to have the Brooklyn territory too? That you would kill just to satisfy your needs?" Scott asked not lowering his gun.

"Yes, I'd be the most powerful and ruthless gang boss in the whole America. I was never going to retire so early and have you fuck everything I've worked so hard to build up. Now your wife will be coming with me," he replied.

"You're not going anywhere Grandpa. You're surrounded," Scott replied gesturing to all the remaining gang members who had their guns pointed at us.

"Drop your gun," I said looking at Grandpa McNally. I gave Scott a look too letting him know what I'm about to do. He nodded at me.
I stepped down on Grandpa McNally's foot as hard as I could and then elbowed him in the stomach and brought my hand down connecting to his privates. He let go of me and leaned forward in pain. I took that opportunity and grabbed his gun but at the same time bending his arm behind his back in a painful grip. I was panting, my heart was hammering in my chest and I was shaking because of all the adrenaline coursing through my veins. Scott quickly took over and walked away with Grandpa McNally, probably locking him up in the old cell rooms.

I sat down and ran my fingers through my hair. I took a couple of deep breaths to try and calm down my nerves.

"Angie, let's go home. The police is on their way," Scott said taking one of my hands in his.

"Just let me sit here for a moment," I replied.

"Come here," he said. He pulled me into a much needed hug. I held him tightly in my arms afraid to let go.

"I was so scared. I thought he was going to kill us," I cried tears streaming down my cheeks.

"Hey, you're safe now. I'll always be here to protect you," he said in a husky voice. It was soothing. I cried for a little while then I let go of him.

"We should give a call to everyone and tell then it's safe to come home," I reminded him.

"Let's leave it for another week or so, they all deserve a little vacation," he smiled at me. We walked to the car and got in driving to our house. A place I haven't seen in two months. It used to be my prison grounds but right now it feels like my safe haven. After learning the truth ugly truth about Grandpa McNally, I can't help but feel betrayed. I guess we can't really handle the truth, especially when it's about someone you've grown attached to.

-☆-☆-☆-☆-☆-☆-☆-☆-☆-☆-☆-☆-☆-
So please comment and vote. I know this is quite the twist. This book will soon come to an end so brace yourselves.

Love,
Mars :)