Chapter 20

-Summer-

Oli shuts the car off and unlocks my door for me. He hasn't said a word to me the entire way back, even when I tried to start a conversation. I turn to him with a small smile. "Thanks for bringing me along, I had a lot of fun." He just stares forward, not moving an inch. I sigh and turn to open the door, but Oli's hand reaches over and locks it.

"Wait." I turn to look at him to see what he wants, but all my questions were answered when he crashes his lips against mine. I'm shocked at first, unable to move. But after a few seconds into it, I kiss him back.

I unbuckle myself and lean over, sitting myself on Oli's lap to deepen the kiss. I can tell he's surprised, but just like I did, he goes along with it. Wrapping my arms around his neck, he trails kisses down from my nose, to my lips, to my jaw, neck, and collarbone. I take his face in my hands and bring his lips back up to meet mine.

His hands run all up and down my sides, stopping at the hem of my tank top. His hand sneaks up my shirt while he smiles into the kiss. Oh no. There's no way I'm letting him enjoy himself this much. Almost nonchalantly, I open his door and hop out of the car, making sure to slam it shut on my way out. I sling my bag over my shoulder and strut into my house.

I look out the window to see Oli still sitting in his car, running a hand through his messy hair with a wild look in his eyes. I smile to myself as I run upstairs, making sure to knock on Austin's door before walking in. "Come in!" A huge goofy grin shows up on his face as I peek my head through the door.

"Are you busy?"

"Of course not. Come in," he says, patting the empty space on his bed next to him. I lay down beside him to see Austin scrolling through his twitter mentions. "You know, a lot of people are asking me if you and Oliver are a couple. I laugh, adjusting my head on his shoulder.

"What did you say?"

"I just tweeted that you and him are just close friends, and there's nothing to worry about." I nod. I wouldn't say him and I were close, though. Sure, we hang out basically all day every day, but now that I think about it, neither of us know anything about each other.

"Austin?"

"Hmm?"

"Can you stop being the overprotective older brother for a moment and just be the best friend?" He chuckles, tossing his phone down in between us.

"Sure, babe. What's up?"

"How do you know if you're in love with someone?" I can tell he's taken back by the question because his chest stops rising for a moment.

"Well," he starts. I can tell he's trying to think of a proper answer. "It's hard to tell, really. But for the most part, they're always on your mind, even when you don't want them to be. You get this feeling when you're with them that's hard to explain. You usually find yourself smiling like an idiot for no reason, and then realize you were thinking about them. Usually, you love and hate that person so much at the same time that it drives you crazy. It drives you to fall in love with them."

I'm silent for a moment, taking everything in. Everything he said was true. Does this mean I'm in love with Oliver? No. I can't. I sit up, clutching my head with my hands. Austin sits up as well and puts a hand on my shoulder. I can tell by the look on his face that I don't even need to say anything. He already knows. "I don't understand," I say, my voice trembling. "He makes me so angry to the point where I want to punch him, but then there he is with his perfect smile and his perfect self, a-and I just... UGHH." At that point I was crying. Austin pulls me into his chest and pets my hair, trying to calm me down.

"I know it's hard," he whispers. "Loving someone is like going through hell and back." I continue to cry into his chest, not saying a word. "You know what? Pack your bags." I stop crying and look up at him.

"A-Are you kicking me out?" He laughs.

"Summer, you're my best friend! I'd never do that. We're getting out of this town. All week, just you and me." I smile and wipe my tears away.

"But what about my job? I have to work in the morning. And what about Oli and Lights?"

"We'll leave tomorrow after your shift," he says with a shrug. "And as for your friends... well, don't worry about it." I squeal and kiss him on the cheek before jumping off his bed and skipping out of the room.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I hear Austin laugh as I slam my bedroom door shut and haul my suitcase out of my closet.

~

"Thanks for coming," I say to the teenage couple who were returning their skates. They smile at me and walk away, the guy teasing the girl about something that happened on the ice. I sigh and run a hand through my hair as I check my phone. 12:29. My shift ends in a minute, and Austin should be here by now.

He told me we're staying with Alan Ashby (his bandmate) and his girlfriend, Maddie at their house in Florida. I've met Alan a bunch of times since I'm Austin's best friend, and he's a total sweetheart. And I've met Maddie a few times as well. She's perfect.

"Ready?" I look up to see Austin standing there with a smile. I slide off the counter and link my arm with his as we walk out to his car. Both his trunk and the entire back seat is filled with bags. I find it funny, because we're only going for a week yet we've packed basically our whole house. I strap in and Austin starts the ignition. Both Austin and I left our phones at home so we don't have to deal with any drama. The plane ride should be a drag, though. But I'll deal with it.

"Florida, here we come!"

(A/N: Most of you are on Team Matt and I think that's really cute c: Just a heads up: A LOT will be happening in the next, like, 5 chapters. TOMORROW'S THANKSGIVING SO I'M GOING TO UPLOAD A CHAPTER OR TWO JUST TO SAY THANK YOU FOR ALL THE LOVE AND SUPPORT ^-^ But until then... you should all go read my new Alex Gaskarth love story (which is similiar to this one IN A WAY). But yeah. It's on my profile so you should give me feedback c:

QOTD: What do you want for Christmas?)