Chapter One

Thank you lost48 for this awesome banner! (:

Word Count: 1634

~Lexia

"You look great," Adrian murmurs, fixing the collar to my dark outfit. My jaw clenches, as his fingers fiddle with the thick fabric. A massive crowd of people stand on the opposite side of the thin curtain, and the sound of them mulling around is making me nervous.

Adrian pauses, as he notices my gaze wander.

"Be careful out there," he tells me, stepping back. I frown, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Why?"

It's just another speech I'm doing to the portion of the Pack I lead. Mainly about Alphas, and how I plan to take them down. Sure, I agree with my own words, but I'm watched carefully by Kaden at all times.

"People are starting to get suspicious. They are wondering why whatever you say, Kaden manages to answer with some sort of cunning plan," Adrian said.

I close my eyes. It has never been my intention to play them. Nothing more appeals to me than dragging an Alpha down, but what I can't tell these people, is that any wrong move on my part, I'll be killed by Kaden...

"Whether it's raid on major public building, or a protest outside his estate. You say, he answers," Adrian said sternly, but his words didn't effect me. I know this. He's right in every way, but there is nothing I can do to stop it.

"I know, I know," I say, holding my hands up. I turn around, facing the curtain that leads onto the stage. Of course I know. It haunts me every night.

Without another word, I push through the black cloth, revealing myself to the thick crowd of bustling people. Instantly heads turn, talking ceases and a sort of submissiveness settles over them. This must be what it feels like to be an Alpha.

My strides are confident, as I find the centre of the stage. This is what I enjoy. Not the attention, but more like the order and sense that finds these criminals the moment I meet their presence.

"Thank you for coming out," I say, my voice carrying itself over the shadowed faces melting into the crowd. I try not to make eye contact with anyone specifically, but instead try to address them with one sweeping gaze of the courtyard.

It's not like they have anything better to do though, than come to hear me talk. This has become a sort of tradition, my speeches. Many have told me themselves that I bring a familiarity to the bleakness. This place is like a prison, with walls tall and consuming. But I don't mind it.

Call me institutionalised, but I've begun to rely on these walls.

"Protests are going well. I believe we are making progress," I tell them. I don't need a microphone; my words radiate off the silence like a speaker.

Someone coughs, but I ignore them. "In no time, we will be leading this Pack collectively!"

This time, people cheer. That's what they want to hear...They want to rule, and they will. What Kaden doesn't know, is there is more of this rebellion going on behind the scenes. Some of it, even I don't have a handle on it...

And my idea. My idea to find my mate and take over his Pack has to work. People shouldn't be born into power! No matter what Pack it is...And anyway, if it doesn't go to plan, there are people that will mount my head to the wall if I don't obey them.

"We will not stand for oppression!"

People surge forward, weaving around each other through the jungle of limbs, trying to get closer to me on the stage. I don't take a step back; I won't be afraid of my own people.