Chapter Eight

She didn't leave her username, but thank you a lot Jumana Aishath! For this banner (:

Word Count: 1617

Pages: 12

~Lexia

The moment I stepped outside, I was hit in the face with heat. I know I told Grayson I couldn't go out, but this meant answers from Jasper. I'm going to have to deal with it.

Aimlessly, I wander around the side of the main building. If I wasn't concentrating on not fainting from the harsh sun beating down on me, I might have been admiring all of the native tree life around me I've never seen before.

I think I circled the house four times before giving up. Jasper isn't here. He said outside, and I'm here, yet he isn't.

Annoyed, I rest my back against the side of the building, ignoring the fact that the humidity probably has my hair looking like those native bushes.

Suddenly, a rustle in those exact bushes catches my attention. Everywhere you look, there's trees, with Grayson's backyard basically being a forest. Clearly it was too much trouble to remove at least some of the trees, so my assumption is they must be protected. Either that, or people are too scared of what lives on there...

So naturally, the sound chills my blood.

"Jasper?" I question, looking through the deep undergrowth. I see dappled light dancing along the forest floor in there, but shadows still haunt most areas a possibly rabid killer might lurk.

I've seen those horror movies where people wandering into the stupidest of places-any well minded person would never consider to enter-end up dead. So, deciding on maybe not meeting with Jasper today, I turn around...

Only to see him right behind me, leaning against the wall of the house casually.

I yelp, nearly collapsing from the heart attack he just gave me. He only smirks at me, those deep violet eyes dancing with amusement.

"You scared the hell out of me!" I curse, running a hand through my hair, while the other holds my chest protectively.

"You should be more observant," he says breezily.

"And you shouldn't sneak up on people."

He shrugs his shoulder mindlessly. "I'm used to not being seen."

Taking in a deep breath, I observe him for a moment. Definitely still the man who I danced with last night, and who spiked my drink. Hasn't changed a bit. Still that elusive Alpha creature with the most distinctive eyes.

"Well..."

"What?"

"You're not going to hit me, or yell at me?" He questions, seemingly surprised. He still leans against the side of the wall.

Tempting. "Not yet."

Now he seems more surprised. In the light, I notice how he seems to attract the shadows, as if he is enticing the darkness from the forest with just his presence. It swirls around him, wrapping around him in a faint way I almost pass off as my imagination.