Chapter Nine

Thank you to klilpepsi for this hairy version of Grayson :p Love the banner!

Word Count: 1675

(For IPhone 6s users)
Pages: 11

~Lexia

My closed fist hovers tantalisingly close to the wooden door. If I had any confidence in what i am about to do right now, I would be knocking. But I don't, because I have never had to face something so terrifying in my life.

Every ounce of my body tells me not to do it. Not to knock. But I do.

"Come in," I hear him murmur.

Heart in my throat, I turn the knob and wander in. Grayson sits behind his desk, pen between his fingers at he writes on a piece of paper. He looks up when I close the door behind me, the most prominent specks of silver glinting in his eyes as he caught my gaze.

His office is impressive. More impressive than mine back at home. Is it even my home anymore?

"I know," I say, although my voice comes out breathless and hoarse. Grayson's eyebrows furrow together in confusion, not knowing what I am talking about. I force my eyes to the ground.

"Sorry?"

"What...What we are," I tell him, trying to force my voice into sounding somewhat controlled, but instead it shakes uneasily, like my hands by my side.

Instantly, it clicks with Grayson exactly what I mean. 

He sets his pen down, sighing deeply. I watch carefully as he stands, brushing the creases out of his dress shirt, before rounding the desk. My heart beats faster, as I notice the way his fingers drag across the surface of the desk as he does so. At least he is fully dressed today.

"Who told you?" he questions, leaning against the edge of the desk. At least he is leaving some space between us.

"Someone at the party last night," I say softly. I hope it isn't a mate thing to notice when someone is lying, because otherwise he would be able to see straight through my facade.

He doesn't seem to notice though, as he frowns in annoyance.

"You weren't supposed to find out this way," he tells me gently, as if it makes a difference. I narrow my eyes at him, as he stands again. "I wanted to be the one to tell you..."

He leans forward, his hand reaching out to me. I take a step back. "Don't."

"Is something wrong?" he asks, surprised at my instant distaste to his touch. I don't want to tell him it is because I'm scared. Would he laugh at me? Would he tell me I am stupid because the thought of feeling sparks with someone is terrifying?

I take a deep breath, ensuring I am looking directly into Grayson's eyes.

"One man ruined my life," I began. Grayson frowned.

"I wanted to be a lawyer. But one day, my dreams were taken from me, when Alpha Kaden stole me from my family when I was only thirteen. I went from being around some of the most intelligent girls in the world, to the worst criminals in society," I whisper.

I glance down, hating the way Grayson's eyes burn into mine.

"It wasn't the physical torture that bothered me. It was the emotional torment they put me through, night, and day. And eventually, when I worked my way to the top, I was forced to betray them."