Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Serene

A howl of a crying wolf woke me up from seems to be a long slumber, I gasp when I realized that I wasn't on my bed.

' Where am I,' my wondering thought as I rose from the ground and stroke the dirt and leaves that fused to my night dress.  A strong cold breeze blew the same time I came to recognize the wide, I'm at the lake that lies deep into the woods. Confused, I begin to ponder on how I get here, the memories I can summon up is that the lights were out and we were having a storytelling then I went to the room after. I have no memories of coming here regardless I need to go back.

With my bare feet I stroll on the wet and muddy surface of the forest that was caused by the recent rain. The night sky is now clear and the moon is visible if not for the splash of puddles and squish of mud I wouldn't believe that a thunderstorm had occurred.

I've felt relieved after the sight of lights coming from the dorm's footstep. Hurriedly I run like a thirsty person who had found oasis in the desert but both to my fright and horror the place that I'm expecting is not there instead I'm back on the lake. I instinctively ran following the familiar trails again that used to head towards the dorm thinking that I am just seeing things or maybe I'm still half asleep earlier but when I ended up on the very same place, I tensed. Even if I tried to change my navigation it still finishes off on the similar place yet I attempt for countless times until my feet became numb and refuse to move due to exhaustion. It feels like I am trapped with no means of escape.

I am anxious and restless, my heart is drumming more than necessary, using my right hand I tried to clench my left chest hoping to lessen its beating but the action is futile. I was leaning on the tree, panting, when I heard the howling again but this time it was nearby and the wolf is in sight. It is facing the lake like it's seeing something in the waters. I curiously but carefully move to the side of the lake, indeed there was something moving in the water, something like a log. I can't materialize what it was due to the night clouds so I waited for the moon to illuminate but when it does, I realize that it is not a log.

In the middle of the water is a girl bathing on her own blood, the very same scene I've imagine from the story previously. I don't know what happened but next I suddenly saw myself crumple and soon started sobbing but no sounds was coming off.

' Serene', a voice of unfamiliar man whispers. I look around but there's no one, when I glance back on the waters, the girl is gone.

Soon I heard helpless screaming of people, it was so loud and deafening that I need to cover my ears just to prevent it from breaking but it led me to woke up, rapid huffing of breaths was my only companion during. Somehow I am grateful that it was a dream in the end though it doesn't feel like it I felt relieved.

My window creaks as the night winds played it by pushing and pulling, I ride off my bed to seal the window but stop midway when I notice a shadow from the other side of the bed, it is coming closer. My body move on reflex but slipped and fell, I look under and was surprised to see muds on my feet. The floor creaks as the human form shadow approaches, I tried to stand but the mud made me slide every time. Scared and hopeless, I crawl and grasp the windowsill for brace, maybe if I jump I could get some help or maybe I'll be lucky enough to sustain a few broken bones nonetheless. The shadow extended a hand with the attempt to touch, I stiffened with no chance to recover, my knees go weak and my muscles become tensed. It was so close from touching me but the moment it came contact with the moonlight spill that passes through the windowpane it started to dissolve and soon vanished.