Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Five Centuries Past

Serene

The lights that passes through the windows of the attic woke me up. I move my body lazily as I tidy my small creaking but warm bed. I took off my clothes and readied myself for a cold bath. I've been bathing with cold water yet I still can't help myself to brrr everytime I get soak.

" Good morning Mr. Brenner, Annabeth" I greeted

" Good morning, Serene," they greeted back. Mr. Brenner is the chef who cooks for the orphanage I'm staying at. Annabeth is her daughter who's been helping him. I've been staying at the orphanage since I was a baby, it had been my shelter for years. I'm not lucky like the other children who gets adopted before they come to age. I'm thankful though that they didn't kick me out and let me stay in exchange of doing the chores.

" You're very early today. We haven't even started cooking" Annabeth noticed. She's a few years older and had been a sister to me.

" I was planning to go out for a minute before the head mistress wakes up"

" Where to?" Annabeth

" I'll be quick don't worry" I wink

" Go. You better hurry" she urged. I nod at her and took a piece of red apple in the basket.

It is still a bit foggy outside and the atmosphere is humid sending chills to my skin. I covered myself in a hug to lessen the cold and walk down the grassy field. I move towards the big tree that has equally big roots surfacing out.

" Hey " I called
" Where are you? Are you there?"

" Grrr" I heard him growl and saw him hiding deep under the roots

" You can come out now. I won't hurt you"
" Here, are you hungry?" I offered him the apple I brought

He slowly comes out from his hiding. He sniffed the apple in my hands and soon took a bite. He grabs the apple using his small paws and finished it off. I gaze at the horizon and saw how the light is scattered already.

" Oh God!"

" I'm going now, you stay here okay. I'll comeback later" I hurriedly ran not minding if I get scratches from the branches. I saw Annabeth on the door waving her hands for me to hurry.

" Where have you been? She's already awake" I saw Annabeth holding the mop and there's already a bucket of water. She passed me the mop and I immediately sweep the floor. I heard the clicking footsteps coming closer and stop at the door frame of the kitchen. Anna almost finishes cleaning the whole kitchen. The head mistress scrutinizes me with sharp calculating eyes.

" Clean my room next" she said and left with the same clicking foosteps. I breathe relief

" Thank you Annabeth"

" Don't mind it" She winks and resumes preparing breakfast

After cleaning the Head Mistress' room, I was able to have my breakfast. Me and Annabeth went to the market to buy supplies afterwards.

" Excuse me Mister but what are the people gossiping about?" Annabeth snoop, a bad habit of her.

" There had been sighting of big carriages heading to the mansion uphill. They said someone is moving in" the vendor answered

" I see, merci monsieur" she thanked
" I wonder what kind of people are moving in?" Annabeth said in wonder

" Beats me" I replied. On our way back, I brought Annabeth to where I went early this morning.