Chapter 10

Dedicated to TeenZelyaTeen

Chapter 10

Serene

The night is deep and tears won't let me get any sleep. I'll have no peace without knowing what happened to Zeke. A slow creepy sound made me look at the window, I was frightened when I saw it slowly opening. I stilled and waited afraid that this might be the shadow making its return. Beads of cold sweat is instantly streaming out from my skin as I tighten my hold on the sheets. My eyes never left the window that I almost denied blinking while assessing the situation. A plan of running to the the door is already on my mind and when I saw someone started to enter, this was the cue I need to scram. I was planning to escape to Liyah's room but I was stop from turning the door knob.

" Serene" he called gently. I slowly turn around, my heart flutter at the man in silhouette standing a few meters far.

" Where have you been? I almost thought you're-" my sentence is limp, the words are too heavy it started to choke me as it later turned into tears. I wipe my tears but needed to wipe it again it seems that I had broken my tear glands. His footsteps came and I felt his warm arms covered me in a tight embrace.

" I told you remember that I'll be safe" he whispered on my ears

" They're dead" I said horrified, the pictures of them lying on the ground flooded my mind. They are like nightmares but without sleep. All the fears I'm trying to contain earlier are surfacing rapidly and going out of control.

" They can no longer hurt you" he whispered soothingly it sounds melody on my ears making me fail to notice the heaviness of his words.

***

There are lots of crying and sobs as the caskets are sent to their tomb. Their deaths was not yet given justice and I'm afraid that they might comeback rising especially Kira though her body was said turned into ashes after her death just like a typical vampire. Zac is comforting the families with genuine symphathy like a true leader would do, different from their King. I glance at Eustace who came to fill in for their King and thought about what he said yesterday. Why wasn't he saying anything, if their King did it shouldn't he be punished? As if he reads my mind he came near and stand beside me.

" Why?" that's all it takes and he immediately understand. My face is probably obvious making my thinking bare to him. He took his phone out and type in

" If they knew, their families will revolt and will soon become a problem then the King will have no choice but to kill them too." He looks around first, wary someone might be watching then left after and went to the crowd like nothing happened.

I felt guilty and helpless. How can their King be so cruel and how can Eustace stomach of turning into a blind eye. I've been tempting to voice out everything I know but it scares me. I just learned that sometimes ignorance is better than knowledge.

My troubled attention is easily diverted after seeing someone from a distance. At first I thought it was Zeke but soon realize that it was Reid. He's staring intently at the graves, his face is different to his usual one almost the same of a stranger. I catch him leaving and run after him. I felt Eustace following my movements but I decided to ignore him.

" Reid" I called as I keep up with him

" Serene" he answered which startled me, it was the first time he calls me by that name. His voice is also different, it is cold and distant.

" What's wrong Reid?" I can't help but ask

" Nothing" he said dull. I was about to speak again but he beats me to it.