Nineteen

Ian was coming over for dinner. Mom thought that was a good reason to cook up a storm. The three of us aren’t going to eat all of the food we made. The good thing is that there will be left overs and I won’t have to cook for another week or so. Another good thing is we have choices. After helping mom set the table, I went upstairs to use the bathroom.

            The doorbell rang while I was washing my hands, and honestly, I was nervous. We’ve never had a disagreement like the one we did today and I don’t know how to approach or handle it. I probably should have thought the whole thing through some more.

            Sighing, I dried my hands and made my way down stairs, only, I didn’t get down stairs. Reaching the top of the stairs, I stopped when I noticed Ian was halfway up. He stopped when he saw me. He had a look on his face that I never saw before. The look showed me how sorry he was about what happened today.

            “Can we talk?” He asked me. I figured my mom told him where I was I nodded and waited for him to reach the top of the stairs then have him follow me to the sitting area outside me and Victor’s old room. It was a space my mom had built for us to hang out together or when we had friends over.  Mom will never get rid of this house even if she doesn’t need the space.

            We sat on opposite couches but because of how we sat we were facing each other and still close enough to touch. Ian took one of my hands and cradled it between his against his cheek.

            “I expected too much and because of that I hurt you. I’m sorry, Ollie. It’s just…” he trailed off. I waited patiently for him to gather his thoughts. It was obvious this wasn’t easy for him. The last thing I wanted was to make it more difficult. “Reality never hit me so hard, love.”

            “It’s something we have to work on together and know that when we’re in public it won’t be easy for us to be together.”

            He nodded. “I know.” I sense a ‘but’ coming on. “I know this is a lot to ask but I’m going to need you to be a little bit more patient with me.  I learned a lot today. I was selfish in my thoughts and wishes. I need to think about what’s best for us together and not break my promise to protect you.” 

            “You still never explained that, Ian, but it’s starting to make sense.” He chuckled softly. The sound was sweet nostalgic music to my ears. “Whenever you’re ready, I’ll be right next to you.”

            Ian got up off the couch, pulled me to stand and hugged me. Goodness, I love being in his arms. Absolutely nothing compares. Pulling back, I created space to kiss him softly on his nectarous lips.

            “We should go back down,” he suggested. I agreed wholeheartedly, impatient to see how he got a long with my mom. If she went him up there that meant they were on a good start, which meant the world and more to me.

            We got downstairs and I began calling my mom because I didn’t see her in the living room. I went into hallway to see no other than Victor glaring at me. He looked at our mom and gave her the “I can’t believe you” look.

            “Are we going to eat or are we going to stand here and look at each other?”

            “Oliver, Ian.” We knew that was the best greeting we were going to get from Victor.

            In unison, we both said, “Victor.”

            At the table, I sat on mom’s right, victor next to me, and Ian on mom’s left. They were the only two people talking, mom and Ian. As much I wanted to engage in their conversation or to at least listen to some of it, I couldn’t. My brother was sitting next to me and he wasn’t even talking to me.