Twenty two

Merry Christmas again

Ian

            “I don’t like that you haven’t said much all day,” I said.  I had just gotten out of the shower and was pulling my pajama pants on. Oliver was lying on his back on his phone. “What’s wrong? Are you okay?”

            He glanced at me before turning back to his phone. “I’m fine.”

            “Who are you talking to?”

            “Kevin.”

            “That’s the first time you’ve ever lied to me.”

            “I am talking to Kevin. The commercial will air on Christmas day. We decided to make it a little more festive. Why would I lie about who I was talking to?”

            “Not about that. I know you like the back of my own hand. You aren’t fine.”

            He glanced at me again before going back to his phone. I sighed. It was the day before Christmas Eve. Oliver had only had to go into work for a couple hours for a meeting. I had decided that I would say home so we could spend a decent amount of time together before I left for London on a flight before daybreak.

            Oliver had came home shortly before 2 PM. We had a meal together and I had realized he wasn’t himself. Usually when I was leaving for a day or more he would show me that he was going to miss me. He acted as if he wanted to savor ever piece of me to last him for however long I was going to be gone for. Today he had been distant.

            “I’m worried for you,” he admitted, not taking his eyes off of his phone screen. Well I’ve been stupid. I should’ve been thinking more about what’s going on inside of his head and connected it to how it connected to how he was acting than just thinking about his actions.

            Hmm. Looking over the room, I spotted my phone on the bed close to Oliver. There was a specific song I was looking for. Once I found it, I placed it on the speaker dock on my bedside table and let Marvin Gaye’s Sexual Healing float through the air. Oliver looked at me, eyebrows raised and all. Reaching towards him, I took his phone, placing it on said table then took his hands in mine and pulled him towards me. He wouldn’t budge so I grabbed his legs and dragged him until he was standing on both feet. Wrapping one arm around his waist and taking the other in my hand, I began swaying us.

            Oliver was barely moving. I could sense that more than anything he wanted to get away from me but I refused to let him go. The song started and I lip synched to him. Eventually I got him to smile until he started laughing. I stopped singing then, dropping my hand that was holding his hold his waist. Oliver placed his arm around my neck as we got closer to each other.

            “I’ll be fine.”

            “I know,” he said.  His tone was a lot less tense and so was his body as we swayed together. “I just can’t help this feeling I have.”

            “Lets not think about anything right now except for us, in this moment, together.” He smiled his agreement. “This should be our wedding song,” I mused as it replayed.

            The smile didn’t leave his face. “What wedding? And this song is inappropriate.”

            “The one we’re going to have in the near future. And inappropriate for whom?”