Twenty-three

“Jesus H. Christ!” Victor yelled. His outburst made me jump. “Give me your phone?”

            “What? Why?” I asked, protecting my mobile device behind my back.

            “You keep looking at it and it’s make me nervous!”

            “You paranoid drug dealer!” I shot back. Suddenly, my phone was being snatched out of my hand behind me. My reflexes weren’t fast enough for me to catch it. “Ma!” I yelled.

            “If he calls your phone volume is up. In the meantime, get to work and stop driving me crazy.”

            Ian landed a few hours ago. All I got was a text saying so with a promise to call me as soon as he got a chance. I’ve been checking my phone every second because of that and driving my family crazy. After he left we text until I fell asleep. It was surprising with all the worry on my brain. He was being the kindest, sweetest, most caring person…all the reasons I fell in love with him. And the picture, I couldn’t stop staring at it and smiling. I used it as my lock screensaver. Now I have to be careful how I use my phone.  I had been giving him a hard time and he acted like nothing happened. I’m doomed if I ever get mad at him in the future. All I would be able to think about is all the times he lashed out and let me be upset. He’s so amazing for putting up with me.

            I reached for my phone in my pocket to text him just that, only to be reminded that my mother had it. I asked her for it and my request was denied.

            “I just want to text him and tell him that he’s amazing for putting up with me. You have no idea what I put him through yesterday and early this morning.”

            She gave it back. As I was texting Ian I couldn’t help but laugh at her and Victor. Victor was arguing that she too soft on because I was always her favorite.

            I barely hit the send button when my phone started ringing. I ran upstairs to answer. “I’ve been waiting for your call! Did you get my text? I miss you!”

            Ian’s soft, deep chuckle brought a smile to my face. “Hi! No, I didn’t! I miss you too. Hold on. I’m checking for your text.” It didn’t take him long. “Ah, you’ve done your share of putting up with me…” his voice trailed off and I heard a yawn. “I’ve got something to tell you.”

            “Maybe you should get some sleep first.”

            The line was quiet for a while. I actually thought he fell asleep until he said, “I could actually use you right now.”

            At the sound of that, I slipped into my room and closed the door. I have nothing to hide from my family but some things are and should be between him and I. “What’s wrong?”

            “Remember when I left for a week and you didn’t hear from me?”  Ian laughed. “See, you have done your share of putting up with me.”

            “Yes, I remember,” I answered slowly.

            “I left because my father fell in the tub while he was showering. It wasn’t bad but…anyways, he has a fulltime nurse but I wanted to stay with him just to see for myself that he was doing better and he was going to be okay.  You and I…I had only just told you how I felt. I was unsure of a lot of things…like whether or not I blew my chances with you, your feelings for me. We didn’t actually build a relationship and as much as I wanted to I couldn’t pick up the phone and say ‘hey, Oliver, my father fell and I’m really terrified right now’.”