Moving Day

I was frustrated with the journal and its uncrackable code. I had done all of the research possible, trying to find some way of interpreting what the passage said- but I always ended up back where I started, with nothing.

I snapped the journal shut and turned to Bill, "so what's been going on with you lately?"

There came only a small breeze in what I decided was his reply. I leaned back as I said, "we're helping Wendy move in today, that should be fun." I said it sarcastically but felt sincere about it. It felt good to know that Wendy would now be living a healthier lifestyle.

I checked my watch. It was almost seven in the morning, I had gotten here around five thirty. It was time to go or risk getting caught sneaking out of the house.

Every morning I had managed to get up earlier than everyone else, spend some time by myself with the statute, and get back around the time everyone woke up.

I wasn't going to lie to myself and convince myself that I didn't know why I was hiding the statue from my own siblings, I knew why- Bill scarred them. He was gone, but he was still very much alive to them. I felt like I was betraying them. I was sneaking away and pretending to talk to a demon that wasn't even alive anymore. I sounded nuts. Maybe I was nuts...

When I arrived back to the Shack, everyone was already up and hauling boxes to the house.
Soos spotted me and called, "Ty! Where've you been?"

"Out walking," I lied, "I needed some fresh air."

Soos smiled, nodded, and disappeared in the Shack, carrying away a large box.

Soos must've used his truck to bring all of Wendy's things here, I thought. Wendy herself was climbing out of the passenger side of the truck. Maybe I wasn't as late as I thought I had been.

Dipper and Mabel both had just arrived to help. They both looked surprised to see me up, but didn't ask why. I let out a breath of relief knowing that I didn't have to lie to their faces.

. . . . . . . .

We were finished unpacking by noon, then we helped Wendy finish up her room. We set up the bed in the corner across from the L shaped couch, and her dresser by the door. Mabel taped up her posters around the corner above her bed. The posters consisted of old movie posters, a band I didn't recognize, and a cool poster that said WARNING: FALL OUT SHELTER.

Once we finished, we proudly examined our handy work and exchanged high-fives. Melody called from the kitchen, saying that lunch was ready.

"I can't thank you enough," Wendy said, looking the happiest I'd ever seen her.

"It's no problem, we're glad to have you here Wendy!" Melody exclaimed, setting down a platter of sandwiches followed by canned sodas.

We were halfway through the food when there was a knock at the door. Soos stood and said, "I'll get it." He disappeared down the hall. I could hear the sound of the door swinging open followed by voices of what sounded to be a somewhat pleasant conversation.

Soos appeared in the doorway, looking confused "It was Pacifica NorthWest," he said, "she says she wants to apply for a job?" He asked it like it was a question (with emphasis on the question mark)