Fishin' Buddies pt. 2: Survival

"We're gonna die," Dipper finally concluded after a good hour of pacing back and forth along the sandy bank. The sun was setting and everyone had abandoned the lake for the day.

"First we're gonna freeze, then we'll starve, then we're gonna die. I can't believe this is how it all ends," Dipper mused rather sadly, "stuck on Scuttlebutt island with you two."

"This isn't our fault!" Mabel said defensively.

Dipper only rolled his eyes in reply to Mabel
It actually kinda was. It really was. We were the ones who planned this day and rented the boat in the first place.

"Whatever, someone should find us by morning. If we're gonna survive the night we may as well make some sort of shelter."

I groaned and flopped back down on the gritty bank. My muscles were tired just from the effort it took to swim a few hours ago, finding shelter was the last thing I could've cared to do.

"-and by we, I mean me- since I'm obviously the only person using my head at the moment!" Dipper finished before marching off into the trees.

Mabel stared after him but made no move or expression that suggested that she wanted to apologize. I didn't want to either if Dipper was going to throw one of his tantrums.

"I hate it when he acts like this," Mabel mumbled after sitting next to me and doodling in the sand with her finger.

"Same here," I agreed with a sigh.

We watched the sun set, which was amazing. When it sank behind the horizon the colors seemed to explode in the sky, the colors streaked like an artist's brush across a canvas.
When the sky turned blue and sparkling, I could hear the pop and crackle of a fire.

I turned to find Dipper sitting criss-cross by a fire he had made. He was glaring at us until he noticed I was looking at him, then he shifted so he was facing opposite of us.

I glanced over at Mabel, she was asleep. I looked back over my shoulder to see that Dipper had rolled over on his side and fallen asleep too.

It was just me now. There was nothing really left to do but sleep, so I did.

A/n:
Sorry for the short chapter! This is gonna be a three-parter all together, so it's sort of like a series special.

See you later!

~Cath