Blonde Date

"No. Way," Mabel was the first to speak and when she said it, she did so with a shocked laugh.

"You asked Pacifica out on a DATE??"

Soos gave Dipper a high-five. "Nice!" he exclaimed.

"Awe! Dipper's got a little girlfriend!" Melody said as if she were talking to a toddler instead of a seventeen year old.

Dipper's face had gone red again. He never enjoyed getting attention like this, especially if it meant enduring our family's prodding and teasing.

"When's the date?" I asked, trying to contribute to the conversation.

Dipper glanced at his watch. "We're meeting at Greasy's Diner in an hour," he said nonchalantly.

"AN HOUR?!" Mabel shrieked. Dipper flinched in surprise as his sister grabbed him by the shoulders and gasped, "You've gotta get a shower, put on some nice clothes, maybe shave that stubble right there-"

Dipper shoved her away. "Geez, Mabel. Calm down. It's not a big deal."

"YES IT IS!" Mabel exclaimed, ushering her brother to the bathroom and shoving him inside before he could resist. She slammed the door shut and leaned against the knob with all of her weight so he couldn't escape.

"Lemme out!" Dipper called from inside.

"You're not getting out until you shower!" Mabel yelled.

I could hear Dipper's groan followed by the sound of the shower turning on, after a few minutes Mabel had opened the door to reveal Dipper with a towel wrapped around his waist, his face flushed red.

"Upstairs, now," Mabel ordered.

By now Dipper was somewhat willing to do whatever Mabel told him. He didn't even complain too much when she forced him to wear the clothes she picked out.

Mabel later appeared at the top of the stairs and announced, "Dipper's ready for his daaaate!" She gestured to the door beside her, but there was no sign of him.

Mabel cleared her throat, "Um, Dipper. . . come on out and show everyone my amazing work!"

"I feel ridiculous," came Dipper's muffled reply.

"Ya' look great! Common, Dippin' Sauce!"

The door squeaked open and Dipper shuffled down the stairs behind Mabel to meet everyone in the living room.

"You look so cute!" Melody awed with her hands clasped together.

"Very nice," Soos said with a nod.

"Pacifica sure is one lucky gal," Wendy said jokingly.

". . . Well, you're not ugly," I said awkwardly.

Dipper was looking at his shoes in order to avoid eye contact. The shirt Mabel had picked out for him was a blue striped sweater, dark jeans, and black sneakers. It was slightly dressier than his usual flannel over a graphic t shirt.

"And with twenty minutes to spare!" Mabel said cheerfully. "Now you've got time to head down to the diner with no rush!"

"Great! Thanks, Mabel," Dipper said quickly.
He looked at me and nodded to the door, "Uh, I'm just gonna head out, wish me luck."

"And. . .could I talk to you for a sec, Ty?" he added quickly.

I nodded and followed him outside to the porch. After the door has closed behind me Dipper began pacing nervously.

"I need your help," he whispered.

"What?" I asked.

"I can't do this. . . I- I don't know how to talk to girls," he stuttered.

"You talk to Wendy all the time," I pointed out.

"Yeah but I don't feel about Wendy the way I do towards Pacifica. . . and I know that you're good with words."

I thought back to my laptop and all the short stories I had saved. My heart felt like it was jumping around like a fish out of water. Did Dipper know about my writing?

"I've read all of your stories that you write on your laptop," Dipper said it fast as if hoping that I wouldn't be able to process exactly what he was saying so I wouldn't overreact.

My stomach was twisting uncomfortably now. I'd never felt so invaded in my life, no one was supposed to know about those stories.

"Replace me!" Dipper sputtered.

"Wait, what?!" I exclaimed, Dipper clamped a hand over my mouth.

"Shh!" He hissed. "We can't let them hear this!" "You're so much better with words than I am! Go to the diner and pretend to be me, just for tonight," Dipper pleaded.

I moved his hand away from my mouth and took a deep breath. Dipper had never looked so desperate, which meant that he really cared about this girl. I looked at him and muttered, "fine, I'll do it."

"But you can't go dressed like that."