Eight.

Andree

It was Monday morning and before I went to school I decided that I would sit in the kitchen and talk to Lisa for a while as she cooked breakfast. She was going on and on about my babysitter and how she thought I would look so good with her. It was hard to believe that my mom hired someone who was younger than me to babysitt me while her and my dad were gone, but who knows what she was really up to?

"I mean, you should have seen her, Andreson." Lisa cheesed. "She was so cute!"

"This is your fifth time saying that," I chuckled. "Was she really that cute?"

"Yes." She nodded. "I promise."

"Well, hopefully you're right because maybe this chick can keep me entertained for a while." I said.

"Or you might fall in love." She teased me.

"Nah, I'm good."

She laughed and then handed me my plate of breakfast. After I ate, I headed straight to school and mentally prepared myself for another day at Walton High. I wasn't ready to deal with sitting in that boring classroom for hours, and I definitely wasn't ready to sit next to the grump who I had got into it with the other day.

When I walked into the classroom I noticed that she was in her usual seat. She gave me an odd look as I sat down next to her. "What?"

"Where were you last night?" She asked me.

"Wait...please don't tell me that you are the babysitter that Lisa was going on and on about." I groaned. "It was you?"

"Yes, unfortunately it's me." She gave me a grim look. "So, I guess we have to get used to each other."

"You know, this would have been way less awkward if you weren't such a jerk to me the other day." I spat. "I was just trying to talk to me."

"Out of the two of us, I'm pretty sure you are the jerk." She smirked at me.

"How am I the jerk?"

"Well, you were very rude to me when you came to my job." She said. "Then, you knocked me out with a crowbar and kidnapped me."

"Are you ever gonna let that go?" I asked. "I'm sorry, okay?"

"Sorry isn't gonna take it back." She folded her arms.

"You dwelling on it for the rest of your life isn't, either." I said. "Look, I do feel bad about what happened and I want us to start over. We might as well since I'll be seeing you quite often."

I winked at her and she rolled her eyes. "I guess so," She huffed.

I was glad that she was attempting to start off on a good foot with me. I didn't know why, but she was very interesting to me and I just wanted to get to know her. I was also glad that she was the one who my mom hired to babysitt me. This girl was beautiful; She was so beautiful that I didn't want to take my eyes off of her. Maybe that's why I was so interested.

"So, may I ask where you come from?" I smiled. "You talk so different, and I can tell you aren't from New York."

"I'm from Alabama." She said. "I came here unwillingly. If I had it my way I would be back down south."

"Why?" I asked. "New York is a beautiful place."

"Well, not everyone gets to see the beautiful side of things." She sighed. "I'm guessing you were born in New York?"

"Yep." I nodded. "The first one in my family to be born in the United States. Isn't that cool?"

"Yeah, that's pretty cool." She said. "Your parents are from Honduras, right?"